AuthorTopic: Ludum Dare - Elem3nts - Ruined path environment  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Ludum Dare - Elem3nts - Ruined path environment

on: April 21, 2015, 01:43:15 am
I often read threads and maybe give feedback, but I don't create threads here enough. I'm getting at a point that future points of improvement are becoming less obvious

So, I did Ludum Dare and I REALLY wanted to have a game where my environment art is emphasized a bit and have significant effort put into it. This was what I made in three days, while juggling the programming end as well.

My game is posted here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=23547

^and a copyright shizz in case people find this via google images or something

And I would especially like feedback on these environment assets, which admittedly suffered from a rushed workflow that did not get the justice of having extra time to think it through.

Obvious issues are grasses not tiling that well, cliffs aren't finished, and the base of the tree isn't properly unified with the grass. Anything else I might be missing?

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: Ludum Dare - Elem3nts - Ruined path environment

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:53:20 am
Beautiful forms, and a great, surreal atmosphere, but very busy.

You may wish to tone down the grass tiles a touch, also it might just be my eyes but the colours are slightly hard to look at in combination. I'm not much of a colour kid so my feedback can't really stretch past that.

As well, there is some stylistic dissonance between the block shading of the earth and rocks and the dark outlines of the trees (outlining that I think is flattening them out)

Also small nitpick but the swirl on the stone seems to be out of perspective.

All things considered tho wonderful work, especially for the time-frame you had to work with.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:53:47 am
Hello  Pix3m, great for your participation to ludumdare, it's a very hard competition ^^

Back to your thread, it seems the bottom of the tree looks like an octopus  :-[, maybe you should consider something like this

it seems the grass and tree don't have same contrast: tree is really green/ light green and grass dark green. Tree also have a better palette contrast between dark and light and grass has only 2 colours and the dark one could be darker.

same with stone and wall with different contrast (brighter for the pillar even at the bottom)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 08:33:50 am
initial impression is good but things to watch out for...
tree light source doesnt match rocks and pillar.
leaf clumps on tree use small clusters like grass which is too noisy and detailed and/or maybe it's the super bright highlights throwing it off.
blue of shadowy rocks seems like its on the wrong plane.
good ground textures but too noisy, try having patches where there is no/less texture and the detailed bits are used as outlining and scattered around in patches.
especially grass where there is no variation in colours of base tile, then variation tiles seem to contrast too much.
rocks r a good start but need some variation in form besides just cubes.
stone pavers look like an odd white overlay instead of having their own colours which takes away from them looking like stone imo.

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:12:05 pm
I agree that tiles are too busy for the eyes. Saw this on deviantart, and characters are lost on background. I'd tune contrast down a little.
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com