AuthorTopic: The faces of sidescroller sprites: profile vs. angled  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

See how some of them are facing straight ahead and some are sort of glancing at an angle?

Deciding between profiled faces and angled faces always feels like an imperfect compromise. Profile makes the most logical sense (characters about to fight would look straight at each other) but I like angled heads better, both as the artist and the viewer.

If I'm honest, I actually prefer a mix of the two, as in Demon's Crest up there ^. But if I'm going to use both, I'll need a way to decide which style to use for which character, and therein lies the rub. I can't come up with a criteria for deciding between the two styles. And I really dislike when animators use both styles in the same animation where it isn't called for, which makes it look almost as if the character's dancing or has palsy.

Thoughts on the matter?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Re: The faces of sidescroller sprites: profile vs. angled

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:28:33 am
only cold flame looks like its in full side-on profile to me, the rest have some side/front perspective. personally i prefer a bit of perspective on sprites most of the time, in reality pretty much everything in a 2d game isnt in correct perspective so i wouldnt worry too much about it.