AuthorTopic: skyscrapers too boring  (Read 2486 times)

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

skyscrapers too boring

on: May 06, 2015, 12:54:52 pm
hi all,

I am trying to make the front building just like the two in the background but zoomed in so only the bridge part and the two buildings would be visible.

this all went okey I tried to make plates so the building would look like it has been made fully of plates once again it went okey until I realised that it looks borring(a better word would be empty) not to mention the collors I've used..

I wanted to give this image a fantasy steampunk world theme where only robots lived everything is rusting away and weed start growing till the very top of the buildings but those things were a little to hard to achieve for me I'm afraid :S

and dont worry about the black parts in the image I wanted the base to look good end then go higher!

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: skyscrapers too boring

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:15:03 pm
Every one of your metal plates is perfect, as if a wizard made them.  They need to have scratches and dents from the construction process.  Then they need to show some decay.  There should be streaks of rust coming down from the rivets and wherever water lingers.

The complete lack of a light source isn't doing you any favors.  Get a light source in there and things won't look so flat.

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:41:00 pm
hey thanks for the reply,

so I tried what you said and this is what I made of it I gave it scratches dents and a little decay that water part was really hard so I left that out since I dont know how to make that one :S

any suggests tips?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:23 pm

So I see you are trying to do with the atmospheric perspective, I can appreciate that but i feel you really need to make the metal in front pop and be mucher darker in order to contract with that. I've also added a quick gradient to the sky and skyscrapers to show you can give a feeling of depth, in your case obviously I'd recommend pixelling it, just for the purposes of it being an edit I opted to use photoshop's gradient. I may have darkened the buildings too much, if you wanna push the idea of them being in the background you could always have a gradient that lightens at the bottom and keep the buildings a lighter color, I just felt having them stand out a little would make a nice 1/2/3 effect with the foreground, skyscrapers and finally sky. Also, the colors you had on the metal didn't really have much of an effect, they're too hard to see. I'd recommend looking up some reference of metal textures and trying to add a bit more contrast between colors.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/rusted-metal-wall-texture-19881021.jpg
As you can see in this image, there's a decent amount of contract via value and saturation variation mainly (but a little bit of hue variation).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:55:52 pm by nickthem »