AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] platform tileset  (Read 12798 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] platform tileset

Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 10:09:06 pm
I don't like how the distant background rocks are lighter and more contrasting than the near background rocks, it feels like an optical illusion. Even with this bright saturated gradient background. I'd try reversing their respective highlight colors.
its not that far off imo its the brightness of the rim rocks that's throwing it off.

all that probably needs to be done is duplicate the mid - ground layer then tool-assisted desaturation and hue shift and possibly contrast reduction (might not br necessary), and as always a manual tweak of colours at the end.

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 06:54:46 pm
I made the rocks on the third layer a little darker, and worked on the character sprite a bit

I think perhaps it needs less outline still, also not sure about the face/eyes. The old ones (left) were crap, but i like the kind of sad look it gave her. Any advice?

edit:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:05:02 pm by japie81 »

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 09:43:43 pm
Maybe go for a square, all black eyes ? With maybe a single white pixel for light reflection. Leaves room for expression with the eyebrows. At such a small size, the idea of the eye is more important than the eye itself ^^ Maybe a (suggested) mouth too? I make sprites too small to even consider add eyes, so sorry if I go overboard with you character :P

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 10:11:59 pm

I'll try and find some sprites with different eye styles to compare and try some different ones

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 10:31:13 pm
okay i was kind of lazy with this and just puushed a screenshot from graphicsgale instead of saving it as an image, so apologies for the sloppiness of the presentation.

also my thing isnt amazing, and the colors are a bit strange in parts, but that's because it's just a quick edit. so hopefully this succeeds in showing you the direction I'd take this:

colors: make the character POP. imo currently your character really kinda fades in with the background. the POP-iness also gives her personality. and that makes it more relatable for the player.

you also had some funky feral stuff going on with the claw hands and imo the legs and feet just weren't working well in that kind of pose. felt off.

good luck man

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 09:16:50 pm
Thanks, yeah it still doesnt pop as much as I would want it too. The problem is that if I make the shades too light it looks very flat, and I also like to have the far away arm and leg a little darker because it makes them easier to tell apart during walk cycles and such. I'll  update what I have so far later.

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 12:27:26 pm
I made the hair and skin a bit lighter, and made a walk animation that doesnt look very good yet.
Here's what I got so far:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:34:33 pm by japie81 »