AuthorTopic: attempt at anime  (Read 6340 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

attempt at anime

on: August 21, 2006, 07:14:28 am
I was bored so I pixelled this. Took about an hour. Not that great, but I like the skin
colours. Fire away with some criticism please.  ;D

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Re: attempt at anime

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:27:29 am
So many black outlines... I don't know... probably a little selout and a bit better with the anatomy... face looks oddly skewed.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:14:26 am
 That's a pretty great attempt there. I strongly recommend you learn how to draw anime here: www.howtodrawmanga.com   Your character's face shape isn't drawn correctly as it seems. The green thing on her head, is that hair?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 12:44:22 am
in response to that last comment, i strongly urge you to learn to draw traditionally, and then find your own way to simplify without trying to fit into somebody else's style.  how to draw manga, baka neko, polykarbon are all great resources, and if you are looking to get into comic art i would recommend how to draw comics the marvel way if you can find a copy, but all of it just as inspiration.  you should find your own way.  everything you learn from websites and books are just going to be habits youll have to break later on.  your design is good, but the core drawing is lacking.  study the basic shapes of a face and have another go
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 12:48:16 am
everything you learn from websites and books are just going to be habits youll have to break later on.

too true, Adarias

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 12:59:19 am
I'm going to have another go at this and I'll follow the advice. Maybe less black outlines, study some anime pictures and yeah, make her hair
look less like palm tree leaves.

Adrias - I think what you say is right, but I've always learnt by copying other peoples stuff rather than doing still life. The chances of me learning how to draw like leonardo da vinci are very small.

Anime is very popular and I totally suck at it. But I'm more interested in game graphics than comic book art and making a game look Japanese might increase its appeal. I read "how to draw comics the marvel way" but a long time ago. 

Thanks for criticism guys. I'll post something better when its done!  ;D

edit: I redit the portrait after studying the masters ... hehe ... now we know how she lost her eyebrows.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 02:43:36 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 02:43:10 pm
Scary...army...Lisa...madness! Ahh...
The yellow shades (I'm assuming they came from the explosion  ???) are a bit too sudden and harsh, so you may want to have them seperated or make them fade into the skin and head thingy and hair colors better. The lines look a little wavy or unrefined, or something. I can't really find the word for it, but they look sort of sloppy or something. Really, though, it looks great, if frightening...
I.....am......me............

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 12:21:54 am
hehehhe this piece was more a joke ... the word your looking for is "slapped together in a hurry". I agree the light should be smoothed into the hair. Or maybe the sky should be really bright and mona lisa a charred corpse. Don't think standing a few kilometres away from a nuclear explosion is a good idea. I was happy with her right hand though.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 11:41:34 am
Don't you love Japanese girls who give head?

I drew this after watching battle royale, which is the best movie. Battle royale 11 is so bad though.
Thanks to Andy tran. Some good hair tutorials on the website.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 04:07:22 pm
 Looks scary, but better than your other previous. Keep it up.