AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] help with rpg outdoor spriting  (Read 14213 times)

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

[C+C] [WIP] help with rpg outdoor spriting

on: April 07, 2015, 04:12:00 pm
ok the castle interior is supposed to be yellow/gold because its located in prospit, which is from homestuck.

im having some trouble/concerns with the first map.

kinda unsure if the walls blend in with the ground and if the black outline around the candleholder things should stay. also, those darker semi-circle patches near the guards are supposed to be columns that are against the wall, hence why you can't see all of it.
its still a wip (literally just started it last night) so i'll be sure to add more to it to actually make it look like a castle hall. keep in mind that i have to put it all together in rpg maker 2003 so the tiles shouldnt change size at all and i want to keep the palette as limited as possible.
(those guards are just there for size comparison.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:03:11 pm by computertrash »

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Re: [C+C] [WIP] help with rpg castle interior

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:32:20 pm
ehh.

- removed columns
- added thrones + flag
- added black outlines

working on character sprites atm.
unsure if the outlines should stay or nah.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:08:38 pm
Lighting doesn't make much sense, as the shadows are not consistent.

I've made this gif for you to illustrate how I work out where to put shadows:

Some consistent rules will help tie things together. Lit vs unlit planes don't have much contrast atm, but also lit horizontal vs lit vertical planes could do with more contrast too (besides the stairs).  Don't quite understand how you're deciding which edges to black-outline, but doesn't appear consistent at first glance. 

The projection isn't even so consistent. Stairs are sort of weird because they have no depth (should start further down).  Walls are somehow higher when you've traveled Z-wards (should be shorter or have a transition). [This one's not so noticeable, I often ignore it, but it helps to sort of think of it all dimensionally].

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:11:50 pm by rikfuzz »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:32:13 pm
I don't understand the logic of the outlining.
You have outlines on the silhouette at the sides of the walls but not at the silhouette at the top of the walls.
You have outlines on the crease at the bottom of the walls except in the topmost part of the image. Personally I don't think the creases should be outlined at all as it make the walls look disconnected from the ground, following the login of their use on silhouettes.
Other than that it's quite nice.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:49:48 am by surt »

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:13:14 pm
Lighting doesn't make much sense, as the shadows are not consistent.

I've made this gif for you to illustrate how I work out where to put shadows:

Some consistent rules will help tie things together. Lit vs unlit planes don't have much contrast atm, but also lit horizontal vs lit vertical planes could do with more contrast too (besides the stairs).  Don't quite understand how you're deciding which edges to black-outline, but doesn't appear consistent at first glance. 

The projection isn't even so consistent. Stairs are sort of weird because they have no depth (should start further down).  Walls are somehow higher when you've traveled Z-wards (should be shorter or have a transition). [This one's not so noticeable, I often ignore it, but it helps to sort of think of it all dimensionally].

the lighting would come from the upper left corner. i cant really explain how i wanted the stairs to be like through words but i suppose like this (without the sticking out part at the bottom)

as if the walls are the 'railings'??

I don't understand the logic of the outlining.
You have outlines on the silhouette at the sides of the walls but not at the silhouette at the top of the walls.
You have outlines on the crease at the bottom of the walls except in the topmost part of the image. Personally I don't think the creases should be outlined at all as it make the walls look disconnected from the ground, following the login of their use on silhouettes.
Other than that it's quite nice.

so should i use outlines on important scenery/items like so?

(also i dont feel as if though the sprites fit in with the background..)

thanks to both of you for input tho.
i suppose i should add the sprite sheet.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:32:31 pm by computertrash »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:06:21 pm
the lighting would come from the upper left corner.

Your lighting in the latest revision is coming directly from the left, not upper left.  (Else the south-facing walls would be in shade).  But as long as that's consistent that's fine. (Which you're not just yet, but getting there).

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 03:11:45 pm
Your sprites are black and white, which is why they look out of place..
The castle is extremely bright and colorful in contrast to them.

Also, this looks like a mix between a pyramid and a castle, because of the yellow bricks.
I think if you swap the pattern on the wall for the floor, it will look more natural since that type of brick is used for walls.

As for the outlines, put outlines on the things you want to separate from the rest. You can add it to anything as long as there is a reason for it.
If you want the bookcases to be special, then keep the outlines. (but if they don't have any gameplay significance, why point them out to the player?)

Generally for the walls and such, add outlines where you want to create depth by separating for example the top of the wall from blending into the floor. Since it's harder to see depth and how things are arranged in 2D.
 What you had done before was the opposite, where you have separated two things, the bottom of the walls and the floor, which are usually joined together.

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:55 pm
Also, this looks like a mix between a pyramid and a castle, because of the yellow bricks.

and this is how you know if someone reads homestuck or not.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 06:14:24 pm
Well shame on me from missing literally the first line in the first post..  :-[

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 06:44:20 pm
Your lighting in the latest revision is coming directly from the left, not upper left.  (Else the south-facing walls would be in shade).  But as long as that's consistent that's fine. (Which you're not just yet, but getting there).

i never really was good with the technical aspects of shadows, haha.

The castle is extremely bright and colorful in contrast to them.

the characters are supposed to be black and white (except for their clothes) because that's how they are in the webcomic the game is based on, with a few changes (like the hair on the red guy and the green girl).

they're meant to be like that (aracial) so that the fans can intepret them however they'd like and thats what i kinda want to do for the game.

I think if you swap the pattern on the wall for the floor, it will look more natural since that type of brick is used for walls.

As for the outlines, put outlines on the things you want to separate from the rest. You can add it to anything as long as there is a reason for it.
If you want the bookcases to be special, then keep the outlines. (but if they don't have any gameplay significance, why point them out to the player?)

you mean like this?

it does look nice n all but im kind of stuck to the original.

the bookshelves have some interesting bits of info as well as an item needed to make a new weapon.

Generally for the walls and such, add outlines where you want to create depth by separating for example the top of the wall from blending into the floor. Since it's harder to see depth and how things are arranged in 2D.
 What you had done before was the opposite, where you have separated two things, the bottom of the walls and the floor, which are usually joined together.

its kind of hard to do this without losin the style. i could just change it like so.

Well shame on me from missing literally the first line in the first post..  :-[

aw geez dude, s'ok! you were just tryin to help, haha.
=

i dont really want this game to be TOO fancy, it is my first game and its just something for fun. no profit at all from this.
im working on windowskins/font colours because this looks strange (esp with the green girl)

but i have icons ready to go.

bonus title screen, background ripped directly from the webcomic.