AuthorTopic: Sonic Items  (Read 8468 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Sonic Items

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:21:49 pm
It would be funny to see Dr. Eggman with an open mouth like screaming "nooo" while his sign is flipped into Sonic-was-here sign.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 08:34:40 am

So, I always tell myself that I'm not going to edit someones work but as someone who has spent a lot of time with the sprites from the STH genesis series, I couldn't help myself. Seriously, stuff like this is my kryptonite.

So, what I tried to accomplish was to find a happy hybrid medium between your version and the classic original. Upon comparing yours and the original I felt that your highlights/hotspots and shadows were a tad exaggerated and caused the sprite to lose some of what makes Sonic's head look like his head  ( which is, essentially a big sphere with a few weird ridges above his eye socket).  I tweaked the eyes a bit (following the same method from the original) to make him appear to be looking forward as opposed to downwards and brought back some of the form and three dimensional shape that was lost from the heavy shadowing and highlighting; what helped the most was bringing down the brightness of the highlight and then uses the lightest gray shade for the hotspot.
Also, since you seemed to have tucked the left side of his head inwards, I also reduced the outside of his muzzle by one pixel just to make things look more uniform. Aside from that and unifying the light source to not look so scattered I don't think my other tweaks are all that remarkable.
The same things apply to the signs as well, made the lighting more one directional (mostly noticeable on his hand) and fiddled with the highlights so that they didn't hug his eye socket as much. As for Robotnik all I did was shorten his head a bit (they elongated his head a bit more in the modern games, before it was a simple sphere that sorta looked half melted at the bottom) and tweaked some of the shading around his mouth and chin(s).

All in all I really like what you have so far and can't wait to see where you take it all. It's kinda funny, as simple as Sonic is in terms of his design there's a lot of little complexities in there that make the sprite to be what it is. Forgive any grammar and spelling issues or if anything doesn't really make sense, I kicked into edit mode around 3am and its 4:30am now  :crazy: I think it's time for bed.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:48:39 am
these are really nice. My only comment is that the powerups look similar to each other at a glance
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 04:21:36 pm
Just wanted to drop by and say I appreciate the critique!
The sonic sprite was just something I tried really quick, probably not very ration changes.

I want to get back to this, but I've had a lot of stuff going on.
Just wanted to acknowledge the critique, especially since so much time was put into it. Thanks! I'll definitely take it into account!

Offline TGHoly

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:23:40 pm
i really like yellow highlight you put on item it's something i'm really weak and your color choice really perfect everything goes together very well!

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30:02 pm

I think the item machines should be about presenting the items, not the machines, in terms of pixel area used. Light blue racing/jogging overall stripes in BG. Button on top to more clearly suggest method of interaction.

Ignore my spikes, I got carried away with nonsense.

I didn't change palette, but I think the ramps are a bit plain in the mono-hue sense. Perhaps it fits the era though.