AuthorTopic: Stingray sprite [wip].  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Stingray sprite [wip].

on: April 04, 2015, 10:47:34 pm
hi everyone :)
I have some time to continue working on my shmup,
I've decided to make the main character a stingray but I feel a bit stuck and I'm not sure how to make it better, any criticism is welcome.
The avatar would change with the life status by the way.

New avatar version:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:26:38 pm by Nirel »

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: Stingray sprite [wip].

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:41:54 pm
Looks tight.
I like the colors, the eyes too. Only a couple instances of banding. Your pixel tech is solid.
Really the only thing I'm thinking about is character design. I would somehow emphasize the flatness of the stingray, the form is too vague as is.
Perhaps also bring the mouth up and lose the nose, that might work better.

How did you make the sea floor? I don't care if it's color reduction; I'm just interested in your process.

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Re: Stingray sprite [wip].

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:08:13 am
Thank you very much, I'll try and play with the location of the mouth and see what happens, the banding is going to be fixed to my capabilities when I'm more confident about his general shape (at least what I notice, I assume you meant around the eyes and brows).

This is how far I've got with the sprite by the way, it's still obviously very much a wip, I think I mainly need to flap the wings and wave the tail, I'd be happy to get criticism and ideas.

Regarding the background, I've actually made a thread about it in animation section http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=18003.0
I tried doing the background traditionally at first, but it seemed like it would take forever and I got stuck very quickly.
I ended up using a variation of this technique http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16531.0
I took this picture
heavily filtered and transformed it, added a bunch  of different gradient layers and cloud filter layers from photoshop with different blending options, and this is what turned out.
The original file was huge but when I decided to animate it, I had to make it much smaller, tile it, and make it less interesting as a result. Also, the process was mostly an hour of experimentation after I started going in this direction, the animation is simply playing with the opacity of 1 of the layers.