AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C&C requested] Background Help!  (Read 3121 times)

Offline PixelatedCorpse

• View Profile

[WIP] [C&C requested] Background Help!

on: April 03, 2015, 04:50:23 am
So, I have spent quite a bit of time working on this, my first real attempt at making a game. In this game I am using all my own pixel art, no transparency, and trying to make sure I use limited color. Anyway, here are 2 backgrounds that I haven't finished yet, but I could use any advice on how to make these better, or things i can change to make the game seem more alive.

This is the platforming background for the jungle. It has to scroll horizontally and is 1024 high.

This is the first boss. Where the player first sees the corruption spreading over the jungle. The electric fences cut on and off and each of the 3 lanes is part of the boss.

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C&C requested] Background Help!

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23:52 pm
no, don't force yourself with some handicaps if you are a rookie, that only will make it harder for you and probably will make you hard to make better art in the future.

you are obviusly not going for a especific aestethic so go 1 thing at the time, look at what you have, what is wrong? The background? The character? the tile? The weapon? if is more than one, pick one and think about how can improve.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:41 pm
I kind of disagree with CelioHogane in regards to limitations. Using limited colours for pixel art is usually a way to make it easier, not harder, in my experience. It's kind of like cooking. If you're making a meal with only 4 different ingredients, then it's easier to get a good balance and increase or decrease as needed. If you're making a meal with 100 different ingredients, then it's a lot harder to get the same balance. If you suddenly add too much flour, then you need to adjust the 99 other ingredients to make up for that.

Of course, it's hard to make a pixel art masterpiece with only 2 or 3 colours. Just like it's hard to make a four star Michelin dinner with only 2 or 3 ingredients. So there's a balancing act involved too.

In regards to the first background, I think you need to do more work on the trees before we can help you with them. Start refining their structure, the trunks and the leaves and the vines. Then we can provide feedback. Right now it's too rough to help.

In regards to the second background, I have two tips:
Use a lot of reference images for the holes in the wall. Google stuff like "rubble", "ruins", "wall hole" and so on. Don't draw it from scratch with nothing to inspire you. Try to imitate something.
Don't add texture without a clear idea of what kind of texture you're making. A lot of people will just add random scribbles to make the texture more complex. You've used some dark lines. But what are they meant to represent? Are they cuts from lasers? Are they semi-broken glass or ceramics? Are they splashes of dirt? When you make a mind up, use google images to find a reference and try to imitate. If they're cuts or cracks from lasers, then you need to add both light and shadow to make them look more 3D. They will usually be lighter on the bottom 'lip'.

Offline PixelatedCorpse

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:13:04 pm
Thank you so much for the advice, I found it quite helpful. I will post updates soon, and hopefully i can get it closer and get more advice.

<3
Thanks again.

Offline PixelatedCorpse

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:48:55 am
Still a LOOOONNNNG way from being done, but here is an update, again any advice or comments would be helpful. Also, If it would be helpful to use a .png I can upload just the background without the player, icons, ground tiles, etc. This is a .jpg screenshot from the game running. I am not sure which is best.