AuthorTopic: 1st work - Bug Catcher Luffy  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Brigas

• View Profile

1st work - Bug Catcher Luffy

on: April 05, 2015, 05:43:07 pm
Hello everyone. I have had an interest in pixel art for a long time now, but only recently did I take it upon myself to start learning it.

I have read about the basic techniques , the do's and don't's but I'm still not 100% how to properly utilize them, so I decided to create a piece where I could practice all of them just to get a general grasp on things. I'm probably going to start working in smaller stuff (not that this is that big) now that I'm done with this sprite since I feel it's what I should do as an absolute beginner.

This sprite is in 100x100 and based off an 80x80 sprite. It was supposed to be 80x80 as well but I went slightly overboard with the proportions.

I'd like to ask you guys for some feedback on what I've done wrong, what I've done right (if anything) and if there was something I should've used that I didn't.

Thank you so much.

based off     

Offline Boxcar

• View Profile

Re: 1st work - Bug Catcher Luffy

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:29:47 am
Hey,that's a nice start.Kinda big for an early piece, but you have a template in this case so it's not so bad. Here's a couple of quick suggestions.

Here's what I think the skeleton should look like for this pose. The legs in the image are a big wonky. It's kind of like he's raising a foot, but it looks weird from the angle of the leg. His left arm also probably shouldn't be so close to his head, or so completely hidden by his other arm. Personally I don't think pixel art is a good medium to learn anatomy, I would start sketching to begin that.

Also don't be afraid of using more contrasting colors. The ones you have are a bit bland.

Nevertheless, One Piece is awesome, keep up the good work.

Offline Brigas

• View Profile

Re: 1st work - Bug Catcher Luffy

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:49:17 pm
Thanks for the feedback! I'm busy for now, but I'll update this as soon as I can. Hopefully in the next two days or so.