AuthorTopic: Slime Castle!  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Slime Castle!

on: March 30, 2015, 03:28:05 am
Hey guys, I'm challenging myself to complete a small game project in a week. :D So far all I really have is basic movement and some player animations, but I'll be updating this thread with my progress.

so I forgot animations tend to run faster in browser, so apologies if these seem a bit cracked out...

Idle

Walk

Jump

Fall + Land

Idle on wall

Jump from wall

Here's the current version if anyone wants to see it in action (arrow keys to move): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7669529/S/index.html

I'm definitely planning on toning down the stuck-to-wall idle animation, there's just way too much movement. I also haven't implemented the jump animation yet- I can't seem to make the anticipation work well with gameplay. Trying to strike a balance between a jump with a lot of impact and very responsive controls.

(This is mostly animation-related at the moment, but I'll eventually be looking for feedback on background pixels and general game design stuff. Would this be better off in the “Top Secret” section?)

pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Slime Castle!

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:12:00 am
Looking good to me so far; the subject matter allows for a lot of zany animation possibilities, but I'm sure a week is not enough time to focus just on that AND create a game. Both idles have a bit too much movement, and move too fast for me. I would imagine more of gentle sloshing movement might fit well.

As for where this should be with a variety of assets, it's up to you. You could keep it in animation as long as you see fit, then ask to have it moved once you get into background stuff. Unless you don't want people outside of pixelation to see this stuff, there's no reason it -needs- to be top secret, I'd imagine it would get more traffic in the pixel art section.

Good luck  :D

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:30:42 am
Looking very fun.
I Like the amount of energy he has.
The wall idle might fit as a basis for landing a wall jump.
Didn't try the link yet.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:34:13 am
I thought the wall idle was too wild at first, but the anim in game is slower and looks fine I think.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:00:19 pm
The falling animation doesn't always play when you jump off the wall.

Ground movement is really slow- encourages players to constantly jump everywhere they go.

I think I would like the wall idle better if it that frame where there's a black line on the interior of the sprite didn't have that line.

I like the fall/land animation... it feels very squishy. Good luck.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:19:58 pm
Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.

I'm scrapping the current version of this project though. As it turns out Construct 2 is just too limiting for me, so I'll be starting it over in Unity 2D. In light of that, I'm going to give myself another week to finish it.

For the record, here is as far as I got on the current one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7669529/S/index.html

Never could get the doors to drop you at the corresponding doors in the next room... :-X

pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome