AuthorTopic: [C + C] Beginner's tiny boatman  (Read 3014 times)

Offline jordyadan

• View Profile

[C + C] Beginner's tiny boatman

on: March 29, 2015, 04:52:45 am
Hello guys, I'm new to pixel art and am training making 1 small 32x32 pixel icon each day.
I need some feedback in this particular one:

if anyone wants to see any of the other art and games I'm developing: www.jordyadan.com

Thanks in advice

Offline samrat

• View Profile

Re: [C + C] Beginner's tiny boatman

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:45:27 pm
Hi,

I am an absolute beginner and I don't have enough experience to suggest any.
I just played around with your art work. There seems to be too much of detail going into your work and i definitely down graded that in my edit.

Some changes i made
1. reduced color palette
2. added highlight on leg
3. removed border for the guy
4. added shadow for skin under the hat.

I seriously don't know to draw water so drew a small gradient around it.

Was there a reason to have so much detail into a 32x32 art work ? are you going to use this in some game ?
But that was an amazing art I loved the lighting on the boat and the shadow of the guy on the boat and water.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:33 pm
Hey Jordyadan!

I drew a quick edit for you:
Edit:

Since it's pretty tiny I suggest you reduce amount of colours you use drastically. It's very hard to read waves or motion in the water in this size the way you have done it. If this was a water tile and you wanted that amount of detail in your water I'd probably make the entire tile one wave instead of many small ones. Like you see I've made the water pattern a bit different, something that might fit a tranquil scene a bit more. I also tried to make the contrast between shadow/light a bit more clear by taking away a lot of colours and making the brighter colour brighter and the darkest colour darker, this is very helpful when you're drawing smaller sprites, try to avoid one lines as much as possible and work with thicker, so called "clusters" to display detail in a clear way. I also adjusted the perspective a bit by showing more of the inside of the boat, and less of the character's face.

I hope it'll help you!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:57:18 pm by coffee »

Offline jordyadan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:50:12 pm
Thanks for the help, I liked both your edits.

Samrat, I'm not using this anywhere, the art without the detail just seemed too "empty". Since you are a beginner like me, how are you training and where you're learning?

Coffee, I'm amazed by your remake, everything fits the image, the water, the boat reflected, thank you for the tips.

Offline samrat

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:42 pm
Hi Jordyadan,

I'm browsing this forum for inspiration and for now trying to copy and edit art work. I also looked at some tutorials from youtube and drew a few of my own.

How about you ? Your art work looks great for me. Where are you learning from ? What do you think is the best way to learn about shape, lighting and detailing ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:19:49 pm by samrat »