AuthorTopic: Tile help  (Read 6315 times)

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Tile help

on: March 28, 2015, 12:54:01 am
I'm building a random tile map generator and I was working on a grass/dirt set.  What I don't like here is the tree.  It doesn't seem to match the rest.  Too round?  Not enough detail?  Completely wrong style? 
I'm looking for more eyes for ideas, comments, etc.
Thanks.

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Re: Tile help

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:59:54 am
I think the trees are better off darker than the grass, also the sand is quite pink.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:59:09 am
I thought it was a forest with some really big trees in it at first -- that grass is huge compared to those houses and the tank. (It is nice grass, though.)

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 04:16:36 am
Thanks DawnBringer. You're right.  That looks better.

@StarRaven  It's a doghouse.   :D   Yeah, those are just throw ins for now to see what might work within 40x40 tiles.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:48:00 pm
it looks nice at a pixel level, but imho, you have an issue with perspective. Your tree should fit in a cylinder, and its root would be near the center of this cylinder's base -- most likely hidden from our eyes with such top-down view.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:45:57 pm
The perspective on the trees is a little off, but also I notice those trees and the grass are massive compared to the houses. If you want to to all fit together, I'd suggested making the relative proportions slightly more realistic. The grass need not have a texture. Perhaps the buildings could be bigger?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:13:31 am
the base of the tree trunk is cut off too suddenly suggesting short grass which is out of place with the long grass.
Some kind of blending is needed here instead of that dark outline.

tree shadow could be disrupted by the grass texture.

i cant get to a grid tool right now so sre u trying to force the tree inside a 40px box?
if so, why not let the tree overhang the top of its box like a sprite?
I feel like the shape is too round and the leaves r to large With a texture that reminds me of a Boulder.

Some smaller plants are bushes would be good.
Perhaps a river with reeds.

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:33 pm
Somewhat new design.  Yeah, the perspective thing didn't work in the other tree. 
Here, I'm thinking shaggy dog.   :P

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:15:46 pm
In need of another set of eyes.
How does the perspective look between these three items:  The tree, building and the ship.  Thanks.

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 01:27:39 am
I think the angle on the ship is looking pretty decent. It might just seem weird because everything else is pure isometric, but logically it works. Particularly if you add objects later that aren't at the pure isometric angle (if that makes sense).

Other thoughts:
1) The grass is way too busy. The intense detail distracts from everything else that has larger pixel clusters. In general the scale just doesn't work, because it looks like grass with little doll houses.
2) The outline on the ship is way darker and harsher than everything else. Maybe you are doing it to make it stand out more, and maybe it looks better in motion during gameplay.
3) Is that shadow bigger than the ship? That isn't how shadows from the sun work, it is impossible for it to bigger (right?), particularly if you are trying to convey that it has distance from the ground.