AuthorTopic: New to Pixel Art, would like feedback please.  (Read 2119 times)

Offline JintanSper

• View Profile

New to Pixel Art, would like feedback please.

on: March 25, 2015, 01:08:06 pm
Sup! I'm Jintan and i am new to pixel art and really want some criticism to improve my skills.

I also tried making a background with one of my character. He seems to be lacking some thing about him and the background looks to fake kind of to me.

Anyways tell me what you think and give me advice on what to improve. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:11:42 pm by JintanSper »
Come Forth Rush'n!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: New to Pixel Art, would like feedback please.

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:11 pm
awesome start!!

I think you should choose a single piece to get feedback on at a time.  Dude with mountain would be a good one to learn from but you should choose.  Also, when you decide on a piece to focus on, it would help if you briefly talk about what you think needs improving

Offline JintanSper

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:12:56 pm
I took of the other pics, what is wrong with the man by the mountain,it looks to cartoon-ish to me if you understand that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:23:16 pm by JintanSper »
Come Forth Rush'n!

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:14:44 am
The forums have a feature to zoom in to images on click, check this out:

Here, I pretty much regurgitated what I learned from my landscape studies in this quick and dumb edit.  If you have the time, check out some real landscape photos.Maybe it looks fake because the mountain is artificially large and close? Maybe the colors don't reflect its intended distance? The flat side-view ground made me think that the mountain should be super far-away because the hero is standing in a flat plains area.

It could also look fake because it lacks a lot of finer details of a real mountain. If you try to fake details that you never took the time to learn, you're pretty much relying on cartoony shortcuts. Look at a mountain, draw what you see, you'll get familiar to all the small things that makes a mountain look like a mountain.