AuthorTopic: Waterfall flow problem  (Read 10959 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Waterfall flow problem

Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 07:59:45 pm
Well, smaller waterfalls make this general shape, decroded, and it's partially due to water's cohesion property. If you have a good faucet, turn on your faucet and watch. I also observed that general shape when I was around much bigger waterfalls that are probably ~4x my height when I sat down around waterfalls. The shape probably disappears if we're dealing with massive, massive sizes, but at this scale, I thought yeah, you should see the waterfall narrow down at the bottom.

(oh, just thought I'd mention that I also omitted the effect that the water "pieces" start to separate so you get literal waves of water continuously pounding on the bottom of the fall.)

I can see this is an obvious problem if we want huge waterfalls, but, who knows if we can accept a maximum waterfall size just for a smoother look?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 08:32:48 pm

How about some stretch and squash?

(One time, I stared at some waterfalls for a long time... this is what I learned, but never animated what I observed)

Movement of flow feels nice, non-vertical borders make sense, given how water loves to stick close to water ...
but with non-vertical edges, I think you need to bring movement to the edges too. Possibly with some sub-pixel animation.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:10:30 pm
Movement of flow feels nice, non-vertical borders make sense, given how water loves to stick close to water ...
but with non-vertical edges, I think you need to bring movement to the edges too. Possibly with some sub-pixel animation.

I was hoping nobody would judge me for my lazy edit  :o

Meh:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:19:22 pm by Pix3M »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:46 pm

Meh:

That's a pretty cool idea its definitely more dramatic.
Maybe sub-pixel could be used on the outline here here (pulse between dark and light) to create a similar, less dramatic effect without actually varying the shape.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:01 am

Meh:

That looks nice Pix! I love particles and  wave like a movement...  I think my waterfall has very thin lines.. I mean the white line in border.. I would like to give them more motion and thicker  lines..

very minor observation- in the mockup, the green blocks dont contrast enough from the green poles.  The green poles might have too high contrast anyway for a non interact-able.  But the blocks could also be a different hue like yellow, but it seems you want green and blue to dominate the enviro.

btw, it looks jaw dropping  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Thank u friend! Yeah I should make some balance with block contrast it was pretty bright after reducing contrast...... I have always those like problem with my work.. I took me a lot of time make small rock fitting in scene because everything need to have same style and same amout of color.. Yeah and im very bad messing with different colors.. Im going try some orange colors with yellow green block...

agree with comment on block contrast though I suspect ur aware of that and these assets were just slapped together.

can I just say I love ur colours and clusters beetleking and I'm looking forward to seeing more and hopefully playing one day.
I'm also really curious to see how u go developing 2D in unity.
I'm in the same boat wanting to smash out a similar game I've been working in game maker and considering unity as it was far superior when I experimented with it but I'm afraid of how well it will handle 2D and clean pixel scaling without artifacts.
Anyway perhaps a discussion we can take offline ;-)

Thank u Decroded  :y:    We had same problem with clean pixel and  pixel scaling without artifact but we were to able to fix them with Pixel perfect formula and resolution. Im very happy how it turned out... Very smooth and zero artifact and 60fps.. I would love to talk with u offline..

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 01:56:03 pm
I dont wanna star new topic for this buut.. Blue forest  was little bit boring.. So I changed whole forest theme to autumn... I tought this color fits much better than the blue .. I have problem with distance..  It does not look like its war away.. Should I create 3 layer for BG forest to Fix the Problem?

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:37 pm
Are that 2 trees not from the background? they look like something you can hit.

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 11:54:04 pm
I preferred the blue trees much more, since it makes sense for environment stuff to get shifted towards cooler colors as it disappears into the background.. The green and red just look odd to me as they are now.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:09:37 am
I prefer the latest version. I didn't notice the amazing cluster on the blue trees in the foreground initially, but when you contrast them with the purple trees, it really brings out their unique design. I absolutely adore the colours in the latest version. This has a lot of potential, I think.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 04:52:01 am
I think both versions are good, and give off different atmospheres. I think the could both be used for different areas.