AuthorTopic: [wip] Astronaut sprite  (Read 6908 times)

Offline TylerRae

• A dev learning art.
    • View Profile

[wip] Astronaut sprite

on: March 08, 2015, 07:58:00 am
Hello,

This is probably the third pixel art anything I've made, and probably the first person I've 'drawn' successfully (it took me two hours ...). I plan to try and animate this with a run tomorrow and I'm looking for critique! What can I do better? What would you do differently? Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
-________-

Offline smithy101

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Astronaut sprite

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:41:11 am
I see that you are pretty new so you may not know but you don't have to upscale your art. This forum has a automatic zoom function(click to zoom in / shift+ click to zoom out). If the images gets blurry than i suggets using firefox, that is the only browser that does not blur it when you zoom in.

The astronaut looks pretty good. The proportions look right to my, and i like the antenna on the back.
The only things i dislike is that you use black outline on a smile sprite (or it is just my, i don't like black outline at all).
And that there is almost no colour variation in the suite but that may be because NASA space suites are not made to be fashonable. But you did a good job hiding that with drawing the attention to the helmet, gun and antanna.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:25:17 pm
bretty good start, arms are a bit too short though.

What are you going for with this? A game sprite? Just for fun sprite?

Offline TylerRae

• A dev learning art.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:47:32 pm
I am making this for a game prototype I'm making in game maker, which is actually why I included the black border. I thought it would be easier to differentiate the player from the background when there is a border around them. I extended the arms a little but I felt that much more than this seemed strange. I think they can at least reach pockets now (if astronauts had pockets).

@smithy101 - I didn't know about that scaling tool, thanks :)
-________-

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:06:32 pm
Bring the weapon up more, check out references for pose. You got the lean-in right. But the arms are way to low.

Forgot to mention but as far as outlining goes, nothing wrong with it at all. If you are keeping  outlines because of issues with your character clashing with the background than you could always bump up the contrast between the two.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:11:29 pm by lachrymose »

Offline TylerRae

• A dev learning art.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:52:23 pm
Tried your advice, ended up going for more of a pistol grip. I never thought about heavier contrast so I tried that as well. It is looking a lot better, thank you.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:59:59 pm by TylerRae »
-________-

Offline smithy101

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:40:52 pm
Yeah it looks better, i am looking forward to see him walk

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:06:04 pm
I'd be more careful with the outline. A white suit will be "eaten away" by such a dark outline. Maybe something around midtone grey? depends what background you are gonna put it in.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline TylerRae

• A dev learning art.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 04:54:17 pm
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I probably won't mess with this sprite much more because I've spent a lot of time on it as it is, but I'll definitely take that into consideration when making new sprites.
-________-