AuthorTopic: Have faith in me (c+c)  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Have faith in me (c+c)

on: March 06, 2015, 04:39:17 pm
 well... here I go.  ;)  My first footsteps into the cave of drawings.  I've seen 32 come in and out of it and I feel inspired to go in.  Right now it is scary and dark, but I don't want to walk back outside...

I want to believe I can find my way through.  Can someone lend a pat on the back to keep going, as well as a torch to see?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Have faith in me (c+c)

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:35:03 pm
Looking pretty good.

On the big one I think the raised arm is a bit short, and the other arm looks like it's jointed in the wrong place but that's probably just cause it's a sketch. I'm inclined to say the ribcage is a couple of pixels too long with those extra ribs added beneath it, I'd pull the upper body down just a smidge.

Pretty confused by the little one, is it standing on a something that's not represented? Torso is too short and the bent leg is too long. Pelvis can't really be at elbow height without having the hips pushed forwards a lot in which case your spine is backwards and the neck needs to go back. If it's meant to be sitting on the edge then the upper body needs to go up and hands rather than elbows should be on the edge.

I think you're probably good to start laying down forms  :y:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:01:49 pm
Looking pretty good.

On the big one I think the raised arm is a bit short, and the other arm looks like it's jointed in the wrong place but that's probably just cause it's a sketch. I'm inclined to say the ribcage is a couple of pixels too long with those extra ribs added beneath it, I'd pull the upper body down just a smidge.

Pretty confused by the little one, is it standing on a something that's not represented? Torso is too short and the bent leg is too long. Pelvis can't really be at elbow height without having the hips pushed forwards a lot in which case your spine is backwards and the neck needs to go back. If it's meant to be sitting on the edge then the upper body needs to go up and hands rather than elbows should be on the edge.

I think you're probably good to start laying down forms  :y:

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to represent what I want in the sketch stage.  I find Im probably not doing it right...When I went to add form, I just ended up erasing a bunch of the sketch.  :|  The littler guy is all wrong (more wrong than the big), I will change him up shortly. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:24:56 pm by Friend »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:55:21 pm
Want to explain what you're thinking here? Getting a bit far away from the original focus on anatomy so I don't really know what to comment on. Yeah your sketch usually goes away once you start drawing, it's a visual guide for yourself as much as it is an actual underdrawing.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:40:04 pm
Want to explain what you're thinking here? Getting a bit far away from the original focus on anatomy so I don't really know what to comment on. Yeah your sketch usually goes away once you start drawing, it's a visual guide for yourself as much as it is an actual underdrawing.

Yes I know.  I got depressed so I just wandered so there's probably not much to comment on.

What I am thinking:  I initially wanted to draw a cave with people beckoning the viewer (me) into it.  That wasn't going well and I felt strife since I didn't feel welcome to enter into my own cave I was drawing xD.  Then I said I should stop limiting myself to what I can do.  So I drew a condom hat.  I liked that I could do whatever I want.  Then I decided he was me and gave him one full arm, like me.  I stitched together random imagery like swampy water, vines, I threw an apple in the water, gave myself an arm-fishing-rod.  I decided the box can be a tackle box stuck in the water, and the white confetti can be bait falling.  I made it seem like I am beckoning my inner self to join on the box.  The alien represents all the people who are alien to me, and are slightly terrifying, preventing me from wanting to join in.  The alien's interest is slightly piqued that I'm here, but not enough for it to matter to me as he huffs out.  The alien is cool and confident in themselves though. 

This is the first piece of "art" ive ever drawn without just eyecopying a preexisting piece or character.  I know it is very weird and now hard to critique.  But you never know I guess.  I think it was good for me to just put things down without caring what happens for once.   :)  I'm also working on another piece on anatomy though so i'll post it later. 

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:18:32 pm
I see, nothing wrong with doing that :). Good way to get the creativity flowing. My main comment aesthetically is that the colours in the water are very garish, you'll need to do a lot of smoothing to get that to a point where it looks nice. Watch his legs, they look dangly and flat, like pieces of seaweed. I follow most of your points but the detached arm on a line doesn't really say fishing rod to me. I like the idea though, making the block into a tackle box will certainly help, maybe if there was a secondary fishing pole somewhere as well it would make it easier to relate the two concepts.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:28:27 pm
I see, nothing wrong with doing that :). Good way to get the creativity flowing. My main comment aesthetically is that the colours in the water are very garish, you'll need to do a lot of smoothing to get that to a point where it looks nice. Watch his legs, they look dangly and flat, like pieces of seaweed. I follow most of your points but the detached arm on a line doesn't really say fishing rod to me. I like the idea though, making the block into a tackle box will certainly help, maybe if there was a secondary fishing pole somewhere as well it would make it easier to relate the two concepts.

Great ideas, thanks.  You remind me that I need to make the scene be  somewhat interpretable to a viewer on a basic level, but also that it's ok for it not to make total sense. 

I'm gonna struggle trying to smooth out the water. Not sure how but I'll see what I can do there. And also I'll try to make the scene more aligned with what I'm feeling behind the random imagery
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:31:18 pm by Friend »