AuthorTopic: Curls (hair)  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Bigfoot

• View Profile

Curls (hair)

on: March 10, 2015, 11:52:25 pm
I know how to make curls, but I can't (personally) render shapes in such a small amount of space.
This is what my attempt is so far:

my reference for the hair was:

Help is REALLY appreciated! :blind:

Offline smithy101

• View Profile

Re: Curls (hair)

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:51:02 pm
hello bigfoot,
It looks like you got fustrated with making this sprite.
You are complety right it is hard to do the hair. So i made a little edit for you.

I did not really got the hair to look like in the refrence but hope you can learn something from it.
I also made a colour pallet.
PS: it is my first edit ever
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:54:47 pm by smithy101 »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Curls (hair)

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:18:18 pm
I find pixeling hair is kinda a trial and error thing, and wont necessarily look complete until it has some sort of harmony.  My biggest advice is to think in terms of clusters.  don't try to make strands of hair.  You can't pixel strands of hair at this size since the pixel is too big.

Instead, think in terms of fat curls and waves.  I prefer to start with the highlighted curls or waves.  Once I get the shapes I like, I add in shadow areas.  Then, I simply add little bits of detail here and there to break up the big patches of color.  Pixel art is often about the little tricks and bits of ingenuity: Since I couldn't pixel strands, I thought I could suggest hair a little more by making the outline of the head a little wavy here and there on top, and I could go thinner with the waves with the darker color in the final stage of tweaking, since that color didn't stick out as much, making the lines actually appear smaller. 

Also, it is said often to try to pixel on a grey or neutral background.  Trying to work on a very bright or very dark or high chroma background can make it hard to select the right colors for your piece.  You also had like 120 something colors?  Not sure why that is  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:38:41 pm by Friend »