AuthorTopic: [CC] [OC] Zappa, Mercury, Lynne, and Lennon  (Read 7348 times)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

[CC] [OC] Zappa, Mercury, Lynne, and Lennon

on: March 03, 2015, 06:12:57 pm

(from left) Frank Zappa, John Lennon, Jeff Lynne, and Freddie Mercury

I did this a few weeks ago, intending to put it on a t-shirt because I wanted a band tee and I couldn't find any I liked.

There's not a whole lot to it since I was obviously going for something strong and simple, but I just wanted to submit it for review here to see if there's any glaring mistakes or areas for improvement before I order the tee. :)
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: [CC] [OC] Zappa, Mercury, Lynne, and Lennon

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:41 pm
the line art could be cleaned up a lot.  Lots of jaggies.  But I'm not sure how much it'd matter once it's on a shirt? 

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:55:00 pm
I almost wonder if this is in the uncanny valley between pixels and vectors. While the resolution is relatively small, I don't know if it would scream " pixel" if on a shirt, but rather just look a bit jagged. Are you wanting the pixel nature of the piece to shine through on the design? If so you might actually need to go to a smaller resolution, if not, vectors might be better.

As for the design as a whole, I think it looks cool and would make for a nice print  :y:

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:25:53 pm
The purpose of the piece wasn't to be pixel art, its just that pixel art is the digital art medium I'm most familiar with. Is there an easy way to smooth the edges after increasing the resolution or something? Talking cheap/dirty tricks here.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:12 pm
You could try doing a vector trace in Inkscape but you'd need to do a bit of clean-up most likely. Probably for a piece this simple it'd be easier to trace it by hand using a pen/ bezier curve tool. Don't have much to comment on other than the hand could probably use a little work.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:58:24 am
John Lennon currently reads a bit like Harry Potter due to hair resembling a lightning bolt scar.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:58:37 am
Sorry for the late edit, I've been really busy.

Thanks for the replies.

I fixed Lennon's Harry Potterness, and kinda changed the hands a little bit.

All the little details like the hair highlights and the buttons were just for fun. I'll probably take them out.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:20 am
You could try doing a vector trace in Inkscape but you'd need to do a bit of clean-up most likely. Probably for a piece this simple it'd be easier to trace it by hand using a pen/ bezier curve tool. Don't have much to comment on other than the hand could probably use a little work.
^ ive seen wolfenoctis do this with the pen tool in photoshop and it came out rly cool, and it was alot more detailed than this so it should be really simple to turn this into vector.
would definitely be worth it too because as mentioned this just doesn't have a pixel art feel to it imo so it would just look like a mistake if this was printed pixelated to my eyes.

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 05:56:21 pm
Scale2x is simple and neat in situations like his. Applied twice here. Artefacts and bubbly lines is easy to clean up. Should be better data if you're gonna trace. If going with clean pixels and need higher res...just run scale2x again.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 06:08:22 pm

I fixed Lennon's Harry Potterness

it still super looks like harry potter to me dude, its the clothes too -