AuthorTopic: Hood sprite  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Hood sprite

on: March 01, 2015, 01:52:42 pm
So i made this sprite:

I think it looks ok like this, but i want another sprite as well with his hood on.

It looks so bad.. Can you help me? :blind:

UPDATE
An edit based on some pictures i saw:

UPDATE 2
An edit based on your comments:
(Tried to work on clusters as much i could and understood(thanks Ai for your edit).. also reduced contrast)

Kazuya Mochu's Edit
Thank you, you totally changed it to another greater level:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:04:09 am by Angelonias »

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Re: Hood sprite

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:41:58 pm
He looks a lot better in the edit. I'm trying to find anything else to call you out on, but It's great ^u^
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:44:45 pm
He looks a lot better in the edit. I'm trying to find anything else to call you out on, but It's great ^u^

Haha you are great!  :) I agree the last sprite looks better. If you think there is anything else to change at the sprite, not just the hood, go ahead :)

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:49:17 pm
O! I tried and I tried, and I found one ^u^ (you know... for the sake of tearing things apart)
The hoodie looks like it's tucked into the waistline... where most people i know wear the hoodie over their pants. *shrugs* So there's that?
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:16 pm
O! I tried and I tried, and I found one ^u^ (you know... for the sake of tearing things apart)
The hoodie looks like it's tucked into the waistline... where most people i know wear the hoodie over their pants. *shrugs* So there's that?

Hmmm i can't disagree :) What you say it's true. I just think he looks more badass and muscular this way.
Thanks anyway! :D

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:54 pm
He certainly does look pretty bad ass! I will admit I actually like the way it's tucked in... it makes me curious to see what a very thin fabric, skin-tight hoodie would look like tucked in O_O

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:13:33 am
Well, you certainly captured the attitude well there, and the hood is a definite improvement.

You do have some problematic pixel clusters there. Helm and others discuss what kind of clusters are problematic over here, but to be specific:

* You have a number of pixels that are stranded (ie. there are no adjacent pixels of the same color). This generally comes across as visual noise.
* You have L-shaped clusters in your outline. L-shaped clusters are usually best avoided except on mechanical objects that you want to look angular -- they add 'chunkiness' to the area.

Here's a quick edit that removes some of them:

BTW, the transparency on your version is kind of messed up -- you seem to have a number of pixels with low opacity. These show up on the shoulder and the top of the hood. You also have some extra colors: there are 2 bright skin shades, 3 'mid' skin shades, and 2 'dark' skin shades (so you're using 7 colors even though it only looks like 3)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:42 pm
Well, you certainly captured the attitude well there, and the hood is a definite improvement.

You do have some problematic pixel clusters there. Helm and others discuss what kind of clusters are problematic over here, but to be specific:

* You have a number of pixels that are stranded (ie. there are no adjacent pixels of the same color). This generally comes across as visual noise.
* You have L-shaped clusters in your outline. L-shaped clusters are usually best avoided except on mechanical objects that you want to look angular -- they add 'chunkiness' to the area.

BTW, the transparency on your version is kind of messed up -- you seem to have a number of pixels with low opacity. These show up on the shoulder and the top of the hood. You also have some extra colors: there are 2 bright skin shades, 3 'mid' skin shades, and 2 'dark' skin shades (so you're using 7 colors even though it only looks like 3)

Well i used only 3 skin colors... it's true that i have some pixels with low opacity, that's because i had many different layers which some of the had low opacity.. And when i merged them all together it maybe caused all the above.(i am on learn stage of paint programs and i make these mistakes..)

About the clusters i am going to check it out! Thanks alot! :)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:22:49 am
is the hood and vest ment to be glossy? cause right now they look a bit glossy and noisy
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:05 pm
is the hood and vest ment to be glossy? cause right now they look a bit glossy and noisy

Nope it didn't ment to be glossy.  :-[