AuthorTopic: Need help texturing sand (low res graphics)  (Read 3940 times)

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Need help texturing sand (low res graphics)

on: March 01, 2015, 06:51:32 am
(image to be seen at 400%)

So this is a segment of the bottom of the sea in my game (water invisible in screenshot obviously) and I've got this kind of cartoony style I'm going for which I think doesn't look too bad, some harmony here and there, but everything kind of falls apart when we start looking at the sand.

I've tried a more solid color but it looks really out of place with the more detailed objects laying on it or the scarce pebbles in it. In fact, everything I've tried with the sand looks kind of out of place. I'm absolutely clueless on how to texture it and some tips or help would be really appreciated!

Note: I'm using the DB32 palette

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:47:16 pm by oxysoft »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Need help texturing sand (low res graphics)

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:25 am
My advice would be to make it more wavy and throw a bit of dithering between the shades.
I drew this a while back, albeit it is a top down perspective.

Edit: I will note that mine is too wavy. I would lower the contrast or make each shade a few pixels wider on my own.
Look here for some more references.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/2013/12/09/4185/Challenge_Awards-_The_Desert_Level.htm

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:37:19 pm
I'm only just learning to do this stuff, so I'm no pro, but my first thought on this is to look for a reference. Searching "Ocean Floor" comes up with some great references :)

Color:
The first thing to notice is that underwater sand takes on a bluer color. Using that pinkish red is more akin to a desert, whereas a yellow might make more sense on a beach.

Perspective:
Since this scene is side-view, it would help to texture the sand almost like rolling hills when viewed from the top of a building.

That said, I did a quick mockup of what I think might work. I didn't texture the whole thing... just a small spot, but it should help give an idea of what I'm getting at.

I tried using a green-blue sandy color as the base and progressively bluer tones for shade etc, then I made the lumpy thing. I also used dithering on the lower lump and no dithering on the higher one just to see if that might make a difference. Lastly, I changed the overall outline to the same color I used for the deepest shade, but you can just stick with black. I was just experimenting.

Here's what I came up with... you know... just for funzies?

I'm thinking I should have used just a little more contrast, making the shades a bit deeper... but who knows.

I also want to point out one thing (and it's only because I noticed it)... the lighting isn't entirely consistent. With the rocks, for example, you took the exact same pixel layout but flipped it, thus putting the light source at top left for some and top right for others. I like the variation from switching the outline, but it might help to readjust the light source when you do. Just a thought  :blind:

/blabbering
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:04 pm
My advice would be to make it more wavy and throw a bit of dithering between the shades.
I drew this a while back, albeit it is a top down perspective.

Edit: I will note that mine is too wavy. I would lower the contrast or make each shade a few pixels wider on my own.
Look here for some more references.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/2013/12/09/4185/Challenge_Awards-_The_Desert_Level.htm

That's a nice sand texture. I'm a bit more limited on colors since I'm using the DB32 color palette and as well as going for a more low resolution approach.

I drew some inspiration from the pixeljoint challenge results you linked me to and came up with this

single:

tiled:

the grid is quite visible but otherwise, it doesn't look too bad I think. Of course, it could use some more work

I'm only just learning to do this stuff, so I'm no pro, but my first thought on this is to look for a reference. Searching "Ocean Floor" comes up with some great references :)

Color:
The first thing to notice is that underwater sand takes on a bluer color. Using that pinkish red is more akin to a desert, whereas a yellow might make more sense on a beach.

Perspective:
Since this scene is side-view, it would help to texture the sand almost like rolling hills when viewed from the top of a building.

That said, I did a quick mockup of what I think might work. I didn't texture the whole thing... just a small spot, but it should help give an idea of what I'm getting at.

I tried using a green-blue sandy color as the base and progressively bluer tones for shade etc, then I made the lumpy thing. I also used dithering on the lower lump and no dithering on the higher one just to see if that might make a difference. Lastly, I changed the overall outline to the same color I used for the deepest shade, but you can just stick with black. I was just experimenting.

Here's what I came up with... you know... just for funzies?

I'm thinking I should have used just a little more contrast, making the shades a bit deeper... but who knows.

I also want to point out one thing (and it's only because I noticed it)... the lighting isn't entirely consistent. With the rocks, for example, you took the exact same pixel layout but flipped it, thus putting the light source at top left for some and top right for others. I like the variation from switching the outline, but it might help to readjust the light source when you do. Just a thought  :blind:

/blabbering

It does indeed take on a bluer color and I think it would be nice if I incorporated that. The sand I'm doing right now will also be used out of water so I'll keep it more orange-ish for now and maybe tweak it later. I like the sort of dunes you made but I'm not sure they'd fit the style I'm going for. Maybe they would? I'll experiment with your idea a bit later tonight probably unless I come up with something I really like in the meantime

edit:
How's this sand? I think it looks nice

View at 300% or 400% as always
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:20:07 pm by oxysoft »

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:44:32 pm
Now knowing that it's part in part out, it does seem to make more sense to stick with on-land colors. I still think that since it's a beach type setting that it should be a little more yellow than red... but that might be just my own bias.

Otherwise.. since you ARE going for a more low-res look, I think what you've got going should work alright. I'm still curious to see what others have to say about it, though.
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:48 pm
Now knowing that it's part in part out, it does seem to make more sense to stick with on-land colors. I still think that since it's a beach type setting that it should be a little more yellow than red... but that might be just my own bias.

Otherwise.. since you ARE going for a more low-res look, I think what you've got going should work alright. I'm still curious to see what others have to say about it, though.

I did go with something more yellow early on but the only yellow available with the DB32 palette is kind of eye burning and is more of a highlight color I guess. I'm sure it could work but I'm not good enough with colors to make it work. Perhaps some of the more talented artists here could chime in on that  :)

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
And I didn't realize you were working with that pallet. ... I have a feeling you said so in the first post and I just skipped right over it -_- Either way, I do like what you're working on :D V nice ^u^

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:32 am
the main problem here is the tile is so obviously repeated it gives away the grid.
don't feel like u HAVE to texture every tile.
On the contrary, it looks nice to have large flat completely untextured areas with spacely textured tiles scattered around  the place.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 01:32:39 am
Depending on your operating system you may want to look in to using a seamless tile generator.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!