AuthorTopic: Lets talk about the dress  (Read 15474 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Lets talk about the dress

Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:32 pm
What would be interesting to me is how working on a computer making digital art, and esp pixelart, where you get super familiar with the colour sliders, changes your perception of colours. I reckon you might go towards seeing things more like they appear and lose part of what they actually might look like. That kinda stuff is very hard to test though. But that would be one interesting aspect.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 10:44:13 pm
(which are definitely not blue and black).
Definitely is (low saturation) blue.

The light background + bloom suggests washed out from over exposure.
The dark background + edge shadowing suggests washed out from backlighting.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 10:50:40 pm
(which are definitely not blue and black).
Definitely is (low saturation) blue.

The light background + bloom suggests washed out from over exposure.
The dark background + edge shadowing suggests washed out from backlighting.

I was using the logical "AND" not "or" - but yes the blue is blue.  Not sure what you mean about the dark background backlighting argument, can you elaborate?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:56:09 pm by Indigo »

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 11:14:01 pm
I was *very* skeptical at first. At first I saw black and blue. I didn't get it. I thought people were saying white and gold just to mess with people.

I went back to the same page later. It was white and gold then. At this point I was certain they were switching the images, so I saved it on my computer to call them on their bullshit the next time they switched it.

This morning I opened up their page and it was black and blue again. Whelp, time to open up my image and solve this once and for all... but lo and behold it was black and blue too.

I'm a believer now.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:58 pm
I created this image...
Both sides appear to be exactly the same to me (except for the background change and the sequence switch in the stripes).

In the original dress image, I see an ochre/brown/yellow tinted gray and a pale blue tinted gray.

I tried to change my perception of it by changing context (as it has been suggested) and orientation but I still see the same colors in every context and in each orientation.

On the question why people perceive it differently I have no idea other than a vague "because nature creates countless mutations so people are not all the same".

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 11:35:22 pm
I created this image...
-snipernoo-

Oddly enough, I always see white/gold on the larger picture but I think shrinking it down has me always seeing black/blue

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 11:54:07 pm

On the question why people perceive it differently I have no idea other than a vague "because nature creates countless mutations so people are not all the same".

But then why would some people see it differently at different times (like me)? I think it might have to do with how our eyes are adjusted.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 12:11:29 am
But then why would some people see it differently at different times (like me)? I think it might have to do with how our eyes are adjusted.
Maybe the current balance in the brain chemistry has an influence on it as well ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin#mediaviewer/File:NorepinephrineDopamineSerotonin.png ). Sugar, caffeine? The possibilities on what "could" have an influence on the perception seem limitless and these influences do not necessarily have to be found outside of the body in things like lighting conditions or differences in hardware and viewing angle. Even the current mood could probably influence what we see (but that is brain chemistry as well).

edit: Now that I wrote that about the sugar and the caffeine I remember one instance where sugar and caffeine and maybe even salt changed my perception and that of a friend. We had a LAN party a few years ago where we both drank many liters of cola (sugar and caffeine), ate french fries with too much salt (we had a silly competition going where we dared each other to take more salt). On the wall was a blue neon light and at some point I looked at the light and it was green(despite being actually blue) and I asked my friend whether he noticed anything different about the light and he said "yes, it is green".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:21:58 am by Dennis »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 12:18:56 am
It is a photo taken with a super shitty camera.

I  I created this image and showed it to some people who saw the dress and blue and black, and they still saw the colors as blue and black.

It actually changed it for me.. I can obviously see that it's slightly blue, but nowhere near the original image. The gold doesn't look nearly dark enough to pass as black though.
This stuff is crazy, at first I thought this was some hoax, since it was obviously black and blue..

I have faith in that my monitor is at least more accurate than average..
I'm very slightly colorblind though.. Really dark greens and reds are hard for me to tell apart.

The argument as to what color it actually is, is not as interesting as to why and how it's being perceived differently..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:45:07 am by Seiseki »

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:45 am
Maybe the current balance in the brain chemistry has an influence on it as well ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin#mediaviewer/File:NorepinephrineDopamineSerotonin.png ). Sugar, caffeine? The possibilities on what "could" have an influence on the perception seem limitless and these influences do not necessarily have to be found outside of the body in things like lighting conditions or differences in hardware and viewing angle. Even the current mood could probably influence what we see (but that is brain chemistry as well).

edit: Now that I wrote that about the sugar and the caffeine I remember one instance where sugar and caffeine and maybe even salt changed my perception and that of a friend. We had a LAN party a few years ago where we both drank many liters of cola (sugar and caffeine), ate french fries with too much salt (we had a silly competition going where we dared each other to take more salt). On the wall was a blue neon light and at some point I looked at the light and it was green(despite being actually blue) and I asked my friend whether he noticed anything different about the light and he said "yes, it is green".

Interesting thoughts. It could very well be your related to your state of mind as well. After it looking white and gold to me all day it looked black and blue just a few minutes ago. But when I intensely focused on trying to see the white and gold again, after a few seconds the white and gold came back. However, no matter how hard I try to see the black and blue I just can't force myself to see it again.

For me seeing black and blue seems to be correlated to being relaxed. Both times I've seen black and blue were late at night and not thinking too hard about the damn thing. (the first time I saw it and when I was flipping through the photos on my computer)

EDIT: Grammar. That was a mess.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:58:33 am by PsylentKnight »