AuthorTopic: [WIP] Base Character [C+C]  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Shiinta

• View Profile

[WIP] Base Character [C+C]

on: February 26, 2015, 03:33:47 am
Hello guys, it's me once again, I'm here to post a base character I just made and would love some C+C.

The left state is his standing/idle pose, and the right one would be sort of holding his sword ready to unsheath it.

Edit: Made a base for a game like Harvest Moon

Shiinta.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:39:08 pm by Shiinta »

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG base character [C+C]

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:07:41 pm
The first one i like more. He look more badass. Try putting dem clothes on :y:

Offline Shiinta

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG base character [C+C]

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:40:11 pm
The first one i like more. He look more badass. Try putting dem clothes on :y:

I draw them without clothes first so I can customize stuff later  ;D

Also, 250 views and 1 comment? Is it that bad?  :-[

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Base Character [C+C]

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:15:01 pm
don't worry about how many views or comments.  be happy you are creating :]  don't stop or get discouraged.  breakthroughs can always be just around the corner to an open mind.

it might be hard for comments without knowing what you are going for.  is there anything you dislike about your current versions?  personally i find the first is pretty great, except the arms in the first pose are too beefy.  i like the look in the second pose.

the second base looks too robotic; stiff, both in the anatomy and in the pose

Offline Angelonias

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:08 pm
don't worry about how many views or comments.  be happy you are creating :]  don't stop or get discouraged.  breakthroughs can always be just around the corner to an open mind.

Damn.. you motivated me as well!  :)

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:23:31 pm
*deep breathing* I lerve it!!!! Just saying...
I don't feel like anything is off. At least not to me. ... Now for other skin tones ;P (Don't forget Martian)
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline Shiinta

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:23 pm
*deep breathing* I lerve it!!!! Just saying...
I don't feel like anything is off. At least not to me. ... Now for other skin tones ;P (Don't forget Martian)

it might be hard for comments without knowing what you are going for.  is there anything you dislike about your current versions?  personally i find the first is pretty great, except the arms in the first pose are too beefy.  i like the look in the second pose.

the second base looks too robotic; stiff, both in the anatomy and in the pose

Thank you for your inspiring and kind words, I'll try to improve the second character's pose (I intend to do a lot of "personalities", like this would be a more shy type of guy)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:10:56 am
depicting shy can lead to awesomely poignant poses.  however, even if youre going for stiff, it has to be organic.  Humans only look robotic when actually trying to look exactly that.  think about how the entie body truthfully reacts.  im a shy person. my shoulders raise and turn inward, , back bent forward, my head is slightly downturned, feet slightly inward, i often cover one arm of the other tightly, my facial expression usually has a tensed brow. (but there are so many more complex ways to represent all kinds of emotions.  For instance, sometimes when anxious I might try to appear more confident with a squarer poster, head held up high, yet anyone with good body language observation could see on my upturned head is still a face struggling to be relaxed) see, it's a lot more organic than robot straight everything and a blank expression  ::)  it's up to you to decide how much life you want to breathe into it, as well as how you but you should at least strive for a basic representation of what emotion you want to achieve when expressing them. 

sorry for the wall of text  :-[

Offline Shiinta

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 01:19:40 am
depicting shy can lead to awesomely poignant poses.  however, even if youre going for stiff, it has to be organic.  Humans only look robotic when actually trying to look exactly that.  think about how the entie body truthfully reacts.  im a shy person. my shoulders raise and turn inward, , back bent forward, my head is slightly downturned, feet slightly inward, i often cover one arm of the other tightly, my facial expression usually has a tensed brow. (but there are so many more complex ways to represent all kinds of emotions.  For instance, sometimes when anxious I might try to appear more confident with a squarer poster, head held up high, yet anyone with good body language observation could see on my upturned head is still a face struggling to be relaxed) see, it's a lot more organic than robot straight everything and a blank expression  ::)  it's up to you to decide how much life you want to breathe into it, as well as how you but you should at least strive for a basic representation of what emotion you want to achieve when expressing them. 

sorry for the wall of text  :-[

This was of great help, I'm already improving it and trying to make it more human, losing stiffness and whatnot, thank you for your critiques  :)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 10:19:49 pm
Don't worry about the no feedback thing.
There's 3 reasons I sometimes don't reply in a thread.
1- the work is too good and I have nothing to add
2- the work is so bad that I can't understand who to fix it
3- the suggestions I have are not immediate making it frustrating for the person to read

in your case is number 3. My only suggestion is to look a bit more into anatomy and how you can stylize it to fit a character like this. But its not something you can just do over lunch break. Anatomy takes time to understand and apply effectively. So don't be demotivated by the lack of replies. It doesn't mean people don't care. they might just not have the right thing to say to help.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!