AuthorTopic: [WIP] Misc Animations  (Read 37004 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Charging Animation

Reply #70 on: November 11, 2015, 04:57:08 am

Probably'll go back for a right hook or something on the other, but for now, something I've dubbed as a charging animation of sorts.  Without bothering too much about reasons as to why, she's got stuff on her back that charges her up, which is what the grey things that pop up behind her are.  I felt like having a slow lead up to a sudden burst would convey thought to motion well.

Also wanted to play with effects for the sake of effects, rather than as hit indication, and while I like the concept I've gone for with the spikes, I feel like it could be improved.

Side notes, the white thing on her chest is her heart, which is why one shows up in the burst, indicating she's been powered up.  Connected to the heart is a blue cord that goes to her left earpiece, almost like headphones.  These are elements of the design, so I felt like highlighting them somehow.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Charging Animation

Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 08:40:38 am

Tried for a forward punch, modeled after Ryu's here.

Wanted it to be a bit snappier, though, plus the after effects and all.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Misc Animations

Reply #72 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:09 am
Not sure if you've realized though, your reference is not doing a forward punch but a hook. You can clearly see the twist in his torso and that he swings his arm around in an arc. Comparing both it seems like ryu would be able to punch through a wall, while yours seems fragile and afraid (The frame he's looking away doesnt make sense since his torso doesnt twist as much so it looks like a "dont hurt me i dont wanna hurt you" kind of thing going on) The punch itself feels rather week since he's tilting back his torso, which removes a lot of forward force.

Normally with a strong punch you'd also position our legs contrary to your arms, so left punch, right leg forwards, to have enough leverage through the left leg,hips torso, shoulder and finally fist. For a hook it is obviously different since the power comes from the torque of your hip and torso which propels your arm around in an arc.

Also what i just noticed, rubber legs  ^-^

--

edit: now that i think of it that might be the reason for ali's foot shuffling. normally the stance would tell you where a strong punch would coming from. moving your feet like that though, will not only distract your opponent but also will not allow your opponent to easily anticipate your punching arm. I dont know a lot about boxing but it seems logical to me
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:10:34 am by wzl »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #73 on: December 16, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
The most important thing in movement of the body is the hips. Almost all correct movement in humans originates from the hips. Ryu's hips in the example have the highest energy of all his body parts. In yours, there's no hip movement at all. This results in the torso not rotating either, the arm feeling disconnected and thus the punch weaker. In martial arts you are always taught that the striking limb (for example fist) is just the extension of your core.

Another important fact is the body parts that are locked. Example Ryu locks his front foot, yours doesn't, making the whole pose weaker. Another lock point seems to be the back arm, which does kinda lock in your animation, but without much intent (it's a bit too soft, you want to exaggerate the lock). Lastly, you lock on the back foot, which is just wrong. He's hitting with left arm, which is connected to the right foot, so if you lock that foot, again, you're breaking the movement.

Basically, just study your examples more. Try to look for gestures, like a limb behaving as a lock or loose, try to figure out the lines of movement, like the force of the punch flowing from left fist to right foot and being originated in the hip rotation.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: December 19, 2015, 09:14:08 am
I'm starting to think I should stop relying so much on references...
I've elected to scrap what I've got so far and start on a custom animation without a reference.  I've got the basic skeleton and I feel it's a bit more inspired and includes more motion and everything.  Plus it gives me a bit more freedom.

In other news, I'm considering a palette swap. There's no particular reason as to why, but I inverted the pants and shirt colors and I'd like anyone's input to which is better.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 10:29:52 pm
That pose is pretty good, I like it.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 11:45:17 pm
That pose is pretty good, I like it.

That's been the starting frame for all of the non shaded animations for this character and I try to make all of the animations come to a natural conclusion back to it.  Everything loops back to it.
I also made this idle animation a while ago, but I felt it didn't really warrant it's own post because it's not really dynamic or anything, but might as well now.

Only things of note is that the legs were skeletoned off of Sol Badguy's idle and he's breathing into his hands as the looping animation. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: December 28, 2015, 09:52:39 am

Wound up with the rough skeleton of sorts.  Didn't bother with the arms or details or anything, but I think I've more or less got the motions I want down sans a bit of clean up.