AuthorTopic: [WIP] Misc Animations  (Read 37030 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Fighting Game Animations

Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 08:36:33 pm
I think the whole gesture is moving the way it's moving already, changing the palm a bit is not really going to make any difference, just make the animation less focused. the hand that's producing the pillar is clearly the one punching the ground, involving the other one would be inconsistent.
We've seen games have people punching the ground and pillars coming out anywhere the characters want by now, besides the fact the previous hit is the same color as this one.
 if you feel like you really have to do something to imply it maybe just give him eyes and point them towards the pillar as he punches the ground, or hell, slightly make his whole torso turn towards the pillar as it comes out, sort of reacting to it...you know like the way you sort of straighten up in your seat when you make a char jump in a videogame.

also, since you added movement to that arm I noticed that you kinda just shortened it, it's not really bent or in perspective or anything it's just short...do fix that
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:42:29 pm by Conceit »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 09:00:36 pm
Sometimes having fewer unique frames can lend weight and impact to an animation. I did a quick edit, either removing frames or duplicating existing ones to produce the attached gif.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: September 12, 2015, 05:49:31 am
I think the whole gesture is moving the way it's moving already, changing the palm a bit is not really going to make any difference, just make the animation less focused. the hand that's producing the pillar is clearly the one punching the ground, involving the other one would be inconsistent.
We've seen games have people punching the ground and pillars coming out anywhere the characters want by now, besides the fact the previous hit is the same color as this one.
 if you feel like you really have to do something to imply it maybe just give him eyes and point them towards the pillar as he punches the ground, or hell, slightly make his whole torso turn towards the pillar as it comes out, sort of reacting to it...you know like the way you sort of straighten up in your seat when you make a char jump in a videogame.

also, since you added movement to that arm I noticed that you kinda just shortened it, it's not really bent or in perspective or anything it's just short...do fix that
I'll try to make it so he turns, and if it doesn't work out I'll leave it to just the punch.  Either of those would involve reworking the arms.

Sometimes having fewer unique frames can lend weight and impact to an animation. I did a quick edit, either removing frames or duplicating existing ones to produce the attached gif.

I'm not a huge fan of the complete stop.  I kinda went for a middle ground approach buy making the frames you and PixelPiledriver doubled instead have two very similar frames with very little movement.  It has the same sort of hang, but without the complete stop.

Edit:
Couldn't get the turn thing to work without him just becoming Gumby.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:35:27 am by Rosier »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #53 on: September 12, 2015, 12:27:56 pm
The problem is that the edits feel like he's punching really strongly, while your version has almost no force behind it. There's no real impact.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: September 13, 2015, 03:03:42 am
The problem is that the edits feel like he's punching really strongly, while your version has almost no force behind it. There's no real impact.

Followed the same frame layout, but smoothed out the transitions so it isn't a complete stop.  I think I only read the doubled frames part and missed the less unique frames.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #55 on: September 13, 2015, 04:14:32 pm
Yup, that works. Now I'm feeling the hit.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Boxing Footwork

Reply #56 on: October 03, 2015, 01:05:15 am

I plan on adding on to this heavily.  For starters, arms, but afterwords a follow up attack/combo. 

For now, though, it's purely focused on the legs, which are doing the Ali Shuffle.

I want to make sure the legs look how they're supposed to, and then have the head, body and arms that follow the motions.  The black line on the chest is just kind of a marker to indicate where the chest is facing.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: October 11, 2015, 12:14:50 am

Made the character a bit less placeholder, and also added the arms and a ponytail.  Next up is a quick combo or something like that.

Offline Neophos

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: October 12, 2015, 04:37:53 pm
Look at your reference more. When Ali does the shuffle, his shoulders and head are almost completely still in space. The only thing that moves are his elbows and his feet. Your character looks like it's doing the walking animation from River City Ransom but faster.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 03:49:30 am
Look at your reference more. When Ali does the shuffle, his shoulders and head are almost completely still in space. The only thing that moves are his elbows and his feet. Your character looks like it's doing the walking animation from River City Ransom but faster.

The GIF was more of an explanation of what she was doing, so it isn't the exact same, hence the arms, but that does make sense.  I'll probably put the head motions in punches and such.