AuthorTopic: [WIP] Misc Animations  (Read 37013 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Fighting Game Animations

Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 10:46:59 pm

I like the effects you've done on this one, the puffy smoke fades of pretty well. are you animating in something that has onion skinning? that is, a program that lets you view a transparent version of the previous frame as you draw? that helps a lot with making cool fx.

I'm flattered every time you want to do that Rosier =) but my animations are not perfect to be honest and what I'm most trying to teach you is the stuff about gesture, action lines and balance.
try making an animation where you have to rotate his head and his shoulders OR hips, and try to make that as well as you can, I think that's one thing that would help you a lot, if you have the hang of that you could tweak his pose with more confidence. you're redrawing things more on this one but the torso or the head are still not rotating.

I use Gamer Maker (For better or worse, it's just what I prefer) which doesn't have any onion skinning. There's a lot of flipping between frames to compare, though.

And it doesn't matter if they're perfect or not, they're definitely getting the message across.  Most of the effects were just me doing what I saw.

That would be next on the list. I was thinking the next attack could be a kick with his lighter colored leg, which would, if I could make it correctly, involve twisting the entire body.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 02:11:43 am
cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSIV21GMzA#t=52
maybe try doing something from here? being able to observe and exagerate stuff like this is what'll make you good on your own

oh and check this page maybe it helps?
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QlZtUEDW3ww/TnO2bncA8FI/AAAAAAAAV9Q/MbIswjJacns/s1600/preston_blair_how_to_animate_film_cartoons_29.jpg
from preston blair's cartoon book
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:17:52 am by Conceit »

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:16:33 am
Rosier, if you have GameMaker:Studio the latest versions of the sprite editor has onion skinning, which really helps!

They did a bunch of other improvements as well that I can't think of off the top of my head. Also just in case you didn't know in the editor the 1 & 2 keys cycle back and forth between frames :)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 05:59:51 am
Rosier, if you have GameMaker:Studio the latest versions of the sprite editor has onion skinning, which really helps!

They did a bunch of other improvements as well that I can't think of off the top of my head. Also just in case you didn't know in the editor the 1 & 2 keys cycle back and forth between frames :)

I've got Game Maker 8.1 free download.  It's all I really need, and it's free if I ever need to redownload it for whatever reason. 

Based on the Second/Third kick form of this:

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 11:03:56 pm
hmm. I think it might be better to do the animation without the effects first.

You have a bit of anticipation with him sort of ducking before doing his dash which is good, then he sort of just lands still and the ice effect replaces the leg and does the attack, so you dont really see the little twisting motions of his shoulder and hips or how the arms move while the kick is made. you could also use a little overshot, ease in/out or whatever you feel like makes the feeling of recoil stronger.

I separated the two kicks you say you're using for ya. pick one and try to replicate the movements

Try doing just the standing kick no effects and no dashing for now.

if you need him to get closer before punching, make him step. when you do that think of how that step can be an anticipation for your kick. see how there's no actual kick there but you KNOW where he kicks? that's a lot of why those fast motion blurs in anime work, the anticipation is very well done so the kick is almost a foregone conclusion.

PARTY HARD! XD

i frankestenized the sort of thing you do in animation to save frames, you make poses far more extreme. Think of proko's exagerations in the gesture video. if it looks like a party hard it works XD

here I frankestenized the whole animation, made it far more exagerated and  cut it to less frames. When you know what you're doing with anticipation and the line of gravity you pick the exciting moments and mash them together, creating something that never happened but gets to the spirit of the motion in less frames

this is all very much how I do things but I'm trying to say it in a way that emphasizes how I interpret the basic principles. so if PPD or anyone is horrified by how much I'm butching it dont be afraid to say :p

I keep insisting what I show you isnt perfect because it's not just the obviously crappy aspects that isnt perfect, even when I do my best I might get it wrong so that's why I encourage you to make your own observations
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:44:07 am by Conceit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 04:27:02 am
I'll take another look at the frames and see if I can't come up with something better, thanks.

Offline dianaazura

• View Profile
    • Design3i

Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 09:34:16 am
Ice probably isn't the best way to put it.  It the first sprite it's straight up ice, so that could probably do with some change, but the arm hammer is making his arms sub zero temperatures, meaning it's more of an aura of cold than actual ice.

Offline matildasherman

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 09:16:01 pm
I definitely second that last opinion and just came in to acknowledge that. One does not simply stay in the same position with the feet throwing punches forward. It is unnatural and also inefficient as it produces insufficient kinetic energy to cause damage.

With left foot forward after the left arm delivers a punch, you can make the right foot move forward alongside the right arm in perfect synergy. This way, you get yourself a good combo, one that boxers do. You can even try for a double left and then right, will make it feel even more realistic and more combo-ish :)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 12:04:02 am
I definitely second that last opinion and just came in to acknowledge that. One does not simply stay in the same position with the feet throwing punches forward. It is unnatural and also inefficient as it produces insufficient kinetic energy to cause damage.

With left foot forward after the left arm delivers a punch, you can make the right foot move forward alongside the right arm in perfect synergy. This way, you get yourself a good combo, one that boxers do. You can even try for a double left and then right, will make it feel even more realistic and more combo-ish :)

Bit of a bump, but w/e. 

I haven't been working on this animation for a while, unfortunately. I've been meaning to, but I've been in between other stuff and a week long vacation as well.
I'm going to revisit this at some point soon and take into account all of the above stuff and try to rework it again, cuz I feel like I've fallen into the same trap of stifled movement.

This is what I've been working on, but I didn't post it because I felt like it wasn't... enough.  Even as I was looking at it completed, I felt it lacked the dynamism and force that I intended, and I've been looking at Guilty Gear's animations to improve it.  I'll probably have that done soon, but might as well post these now.

The idea is him summoning the wheel, then side arming it/overheading it forward.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 02:43:59 am

The new version. Based heavily on one of Sol Badguy's attacks.  I can't seem to find an actually animated version of it, though.