AuthorTopic: Back alley with shop  (Read 2315 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Back alley with shop

on: February 25, 2015, 10:59:06 am
Hello.

I finished this yesterday and am looking for ways to improve it. Does the monochrome 4-color approach work or should I try and add some color to it? All crits welcome :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Back alley with shop

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:37 am
looks great, good atmosphere but feels a bit flat.
seems like that downlight could cast more light.
then the lighting on the doors is a bit confusing where it comes from and how its symmetrical.
if light is shining through maybe move the light where we can see it on one side then close one of the doors a bit so u get to shine it through that side.

the colours r great im no expert on that but i feel like u could scatter 2 or 3 small hues around the place.
for example on the wall around the stairs u could change the darker blue to dirty green-yellow just to break up the monotomy but still retaining the continuity.
and maybe the light inside the room is a different colour so only the lighter blue gets changed in there,or just the highlight or something?

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:53:34 am
I quite like the specularity. makes the tiles look really glossy.
its a bit hard working with so little colors without having to resort to highcontrast or noisy transitions.

I think its really good. its cool to look into the dark areas and find stuff that you didn't see before.
on the bottom floor  theres a pillar in the middle.
It looks like its not on the back wall, but the slab over it has some shading and a gap. this makes it look like its also not on the same plane as the top slab.
so it feels like I don't understand where it stands
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:15:11 pm
Thanks for feedback! Good stuff :) I tried some fixes based on your suggestions:

Old:

|
\/

New:

I also went for an earlier, less saturated color scheme which I think maybe I prefer:

Will experiment with extra hues soon-ish.