AuthorTopic: C&C for starrmazer art.  (Read 13733 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: C&C for starrmazer art.

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:24 am
yeah the one with the outlines. I like that one better.

but I do feel that the characters with outlines are interactive. so maybe not have them on the ones that aren't... as a gameplay gimmick
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 02:20:20 am
If you look at Jeremie's original it's not actually just dirty big black outlines. It's sel-out. The outline is a combination of lightsource and material darkening. It's pixel art at it's most sublime from one of the genres masters.

I guess it's an unenviable position though, people funded this project based on his aesthetic which must now be emulated as he was only the concept artist. (if people are unfamiliar with his work I recommend watching Truckers Delight NSFW)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:28:51 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline neofotistou

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 10:52:46 am
Hawken take it from me. It's just black outlines around the whole of the sprite, it is not selout. It only looks like that because of the layer effects.

I sense there's a note of "you can't emulate this master of pixelart". I assure you that's not it. Banding is rampant in Jeremie's sprite work and even background work, it's very good but I owe it to myself to see if it can be better. I'm trying to find a way around it while retaining Don Thacker's (not Jeremie's) preferred style. And yes, that's a difficult thing.

Truckers delight has fantastic animation. It is NSFW and also full of misogyny.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:37:19 am by neofotistou »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 12:33:02 pm

Yeah not to derail, and I get that it was 'silly', but that was pretty gross on a lot of levels.

In regards to your art. You might want to consider using the lines not only as a stylistic choice or shading technique but as a method to create focal points on key characters. For example, 'slimo' in your first version really pops due to that light outline. But some of the other characters are a little lost. That can also be useful, reducing the focal point on background or superfluous characters can be good for the scene. But I'de assume Mr Mazer wouldn't be one of them, as he is in that case. I might be wrong.

On that note I find your newer version with the outlines a touch distracting in comparison. Assets are now fighting for my attention a little and the scene has lost a bit of it's painterly feel. Your partial outlining in your original is a little untraditional, but I actually think it looks quite nice, and adds a distinct flare. Overall lovely work, obviously.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 01:01:50 pm
But I do like how the original one looks busier. I think that you should at least put some silhouettes in the foreground.
I agree. Nice call bringing back the soft table light emissions.

Coloured outlines for sure, or maybe even non-existent. With the general clean feel of the scene and the way all the character move and stuff I don't think readability is an issue. Black outlines look a bit at odds with the colors and shading imo. But I agree it's a good way to differentiate interactive things from the bg.

I dig the characters and their animations btw. They rock :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:03:36 pm by ErekT »

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 02:20:32 am
Hawken take it from me. It's just black outlines around the whole of the sprite, it is not selout. It only looks like that because of the layer effects.

Ah! I guess thats a cheaper way.  ;D

I sense there's a note of "you can't emulate this master of pixelart". I assure you that's not it. Banding is rampant in Jeremie's sprite work and even background work, it's very good but I owe it to myself to see if it can be better. I'm trying to find a way around it while retaining Don Thacker's (not Jeremie's) preferred style. And yes, that's a difficult thing.

Ah sorry if I came across that way, it's hard being a british on the internet. (I shall use smilies from now) This will be a challenge but you certainly have the skills to match and surpass it, your work really is awesome.

His other stuff is also mind bendingly gross... I actually had to break ties with someone after they posted that video on a female friends facebook. The artistry is there though, It would be hard not to call him provocative and a master of his genre... much like Hieronymus Bosch intentionally grossed people out and that was in the 15th century!  :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:28:07 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline neofotistou

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 03:54:54 am
@hakwen Thank you for the kind words! Your tone was fine, do not worry.

And the artistry is totally there in all of his animation!
The intentionality is in the grossing out, and doesn't bother me. The misogyny is unprocessed in my opinion. At best I think it's meant as "ironic" misogyny (and rape, and gendered violence, and homophobia), which is actually worse.

In any case thank you everyone for the awesome replies.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 07:16:43 am
I must be the only one here that prefers neofotistou's original take over the other versions. It's a lot cleaner, simpler, less bulky. reads better.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 07:32:04 am
I must be the only one here that prefers neofotistou's original take over the other versions. It's a lot cleaner, simpler, less bulky. reads better.
Do you mean the one by the "previous (awesome) artist" ? I agree that it is cleaner (probably because of the outlines and whatnot). I would like to see how that translates to animation, which might be what makes the newer version look more complex and bulky.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:07 am

You are not the only one Cure. :) I concur. The original is still wonderful but a little busy and unfocused in comparison.