AuthorTopic: C&C for starrmazer art.  (Read 13806 times)

Offline neofotistou

• View Profile

C&C for starrmazer art.

on: February 24, 2015, 06:12:51 am
So I need help. These are two versions of the graphics for StarrMazer, for which I'm lead artist.
The animated gif is my take and the other one is the work of the previous (awesome) artist.

Could I get some C&C please? Better? Worse? Weird? Not edgy enough? Too cartoony? Too Disney? The same? Is the pixeling worse? Do you prefer black outlines?

I owe a lot to pixelation, been a lurker for years. Hi, I'm Christina
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:49:33 am by neofotistou »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: C&C for starrmazer art.

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:13:14 am
Hi Christina, welcome. I saw this at pixel joint, really lovely work :)

I think I can immediately say that I prefer your style, based mostly on the guy in the orange jumpsuit (the main character I presume?) it meshes really well with the background, feels more like a painting than a game which is nice. The dark outlines generally work but in the instance of the orange jumpsuit guy I think the advantage is clear, his thin limbs especially suffer from the boldness. Comparatively as far as pixel skill goes it's much of a muchness, you're both spot on. I like the cartoony-ness, I haven't read much about the game yet (:-[) but if you think it's appropriate then that's definitely your call as lead artist.

Couple of little spots I'd comment on are: The character tapping at the bar's hair doesn't read well, the light on her far elbow is also a bit strange. When Orange guy tips back his drink his jaw rotates around but I don't get the sense that the rest of his head does. On the blue blob guy, the dark blue under his eye reads to me more like a mouth or something, it's too dark, I don't get the sense that it's a bulge like I do on the original. Nodding guy's head is a bit off centre, and I don't really get the sense his head is attached to his body, I think this is a lighting issue, as he tilts his head down he should really get the brunt of the table light on it, the darker colour in his hair and beard is also possibly too dark. On the blue hair talking girl I think you need to pull a few pixels down at the top left curve when she tilts her head back.

Anyways just nitpicky stuff, in terms of big stylistic things I don't have a whole lot to say, looks awesome. Animation on the Hyper Light Drifter guy is also great btw.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:53:15 am
Personally I prefer outlines, I like the sharpness it adds and I really miss it here because it helped sell the comic/manga style of the game.

I think the original has a lot more depth due to the foreground silhouettes which I think adds a lot to the scene. It seems rather empty in comparison.
The Bright "laser" lines also helped convey a lot of the feel, but I can see how those might be problematic since they clutter up the place. Having more light effects like the arcade machines and such flashing in the background would be an awesome touch..
I also think the light from the tables should light up some of the characters a bit more.

The glow overlay, although not usually a part of conventional pixel art, was a pretty neat effect.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:33 am
I actually prefer Jeremie's black out lines, however you've got a lot of pixelling to do so may as well go with your own style!

Maybe you can do a bit more Sel-out (selective outlining or broken outlines) as he does and meet somewhere inbetween? (as you have on the hair with the nodding figure on the left)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:49:50 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:12 am
hey neo nice klingon and space quest references  :lol:

re outlining it looks nice to not have it but then having it looks nice plus makes the character pop against many different backgrounds which is important.
the problem was that everyone had an outline except the actual hero which should have highest priority.

I cant see too well on my phone here but it looks like ur back crowd layer has too much atmosphere vs the wall that is further behind it.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:28:20 am
I really really liked the originals, to be honest. Really sharp.  Strong identity.  Draw-over's a little muddy and un-focussed in comparison. 

Hero in the original stands out, but belongs in the scene, hero in the new one looks like he doesn't belong in the scene yet doesn't really stand out. 

These criticisms are only really evident to me because of the direct comparison, it's certainly not bad at all, but there's a lot I miss about the original.  Appreciate it's still a WIP.

HLD's animation is really nice.   :y:

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:11:19 am
I'm seeing screenshots of this game for the second time as I am a friend of the producer from Murder in hotel Lisbon.

I think that if you never said anything we wouldn't be able to say it was a different style. there are differences, sure but it doesn't look like a different game. I think its a matter of darkening the outlines really.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:49:01 am
I don't see any problem really, in fact i think it looks better than the original XD All i see is improvement, not diferences.

Besides that i had nothing to say, besides "im a fan of that proyect :D"

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:47:55 pm
The Super Best Friends were just taking about this and how awesome it looks!  I can see why especially with this.

Only thing I can really say is that the characters without animations kind of stick out because of it.  Everyone else seems so animated, partly because the ones that are have brighter colors.

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:23:32 pm
Personally I prefer the one without the outline, just so it has less of a "cartoonish" feeling to it and it really blends with the background.

But to be honest? They look similar in style and awesome nonetheless, really good work!
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here