AuthorTopic: RPG Observatory (help!)  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

RPG Observatory (help!)

on: February 24, 2015, 12:12:56 am
Yo guys. I really need some help with this one.  :'(

This is the piece that I'm struggling with:

It's an observatory tower, and there's meant to be a chunk broken out of the top of it (an alien fell through!). I'm having a really difficult time with this sort of form for some reason, and the hole is just making it even worse. I hope that you guys will be able to point me in the right direction.

It's the opening area of the game, which makes it even more important that I get it right. Seriously, any suggestions will be appreciated.

For reference, this is another map that I created. It shows off the style and tone that I'm going for:

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: RPG Observatory (help!)

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:32:59 am
I think the crack on the dome needs to have the necessary thickness to be able to represent perspective.

this is my edit.

I also edited the door, cause the base of the door suggests that its pushed out from the wall, but the top of the door has no thickness to match
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:38 am
Really like the look of this!
You should try adding more shadows to convey depth, like right under the roof for example.
The bushes are cut off at the bottom and the pattern of the fence repeats in a pretty jarring manner..

Keep up the good work!  :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:27:38 am
Great style Wes I'm digging it  :y:
As mentioned, watch it with the perspective issues on doors and such as this is blatantly obvious on all the buildings.
Similar adjustment could be made to the windows.

The observitory is cool but I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how the top opens for the telescope to see though.
Have u considered making the opening section be 45 degree down and right so we can see it open and see the end of the telescope inside? That angle would be more interesting and break up all the 90 degrees too I think.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:08 am
Really appealing stuff!  :y:

The linear projection isn't consistent in some areas.
Here's a really trashy edit of the dome.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:48 pm
Thanks a lot guys. Good points on the perspective, pixelpiledriver. This is where I'm at now:

The dome suuper sloppy of course, but I need to be clear on the form before I clean it up at the pixel level. Do you guys think that this is the right direction?

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:30:41 pm
much better. the new shape on the roof also makes it easier to recognize
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:09:05 am
Looking better.
stylistically some changes would be nice.
the roof could be whiter to be more in line with what I see most commonly.
if ur not trying to keep the structure so small then the attached loby could hang out to the right instead with a small L shape to keep the door facing downward, just if u were wondering about other options.
something about how it looks now is a bit small and symmetrical which is not so interesting maybe?

the front glass door should recede further in by raising the bottom a few pixels and casting more shadow at the top.
at the moment it looks like it wouldnt be able to open because it is protruding from the wall.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 06:22:37 pm
You need to work on perspective/construction even more, there's a lot of wonky angles in the round parts. One thing that really sticks out to me is that the roof is higher in front than where it connects. Here's an edit to show what I mean:

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:39:18 pm
I feel like the slit on the dome needs the most help at this point. For example... I think the open should cross over the direct center whereas it's pushed a bit off to the side, and the way it's wrapping over the top makes it look like it swivels a little in the middle as opposed to fitting the form of the dome.

However, I love the concept and I think it's coming along great! And I absolutely love your style :D So squeaky clean. I want to live in a world that looks like what you've made :P
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!