AuthorTopic: Fire Emblem  (Read 15551 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Fire Emblem

Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 03:04:06 am
Oh yeah, that floor is starting to bring everything together. Bringing the right level of detail into the mix. I think more could be done on the ramparts, perhaps a dark counterpart to the lighter bits you give to the corners.

Will you be doing unit sprites too? I don't think I've seen better examples of what one can do at such a small scale, especially the mounted units.

Unrelated to the art, would be kind of cool if tiles near the light had higher accuracy ( or the reverse, darker tiles had more evasion, I think that's how it would be done)  :hehe:

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 03:19:53 am
Oh yeah, that floor is starting to bring everything together. Bringing the right level of detail into the mix. I think more could be done on the ramparts, perhaps a dark counterpart to the lighter bits you give to the corners.

True, true. Quite true.

*Notes*

Will you be doing unit sprites too? I don't think I've seen better examples of what one can do at such a small scale, especially the mounted units.

Unrelated to the art, would be kind of cool if tiles near the light had higher accuracy ( or the reverse, darker tiles had more evasion, I think that's how it would be done)  :hehe:

Unit sprites; It's not really -really- necessary, but maybe for the sake of posting this on PJ... Do some one framers? Sure, why not. For an actual hack, I'd be happier to recolour the existing ones. Like you said, they are just ideal.
Cept Marth. He needs his own sprite.

How's -10 accuracy sound like?
(I think these things are easily edited in a blink, in that Nightmare of thems)

Edited portrait colors and textbox sample a bit, to match.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:24:18 am by Vagrant »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:20 am
Wonderful work Vagrant,

I thought the Marth portrait was looking a little flat so I gave it a pass over. I think my edit has lost a little of the originals personality, but hopefully there are one or two changes in there that could help. I may have also tread over some of the GBA limitations, not sure.

Also really really love the way you've done the hair, that's going straight into my reference folder ;)

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 05:13:54 am
It did look flat, I believe.. It's on my to do list to redo all of it once I make at least one instance of all the other game aspects. (Menus, battle screen, ect.)

Here's an attempt at a battle screen, battle background, and sprite.

And an original for comparison. I'm keeping it's limits.

This is... fun!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:18:34 am by Vagrant »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 10:12:14 am
as far as I understood it, the battlebackgrounds were composed out of a bunch of tiles -
you can see the horizontal lines really clearly and if you look, you see that the same texture patterns repet themselves quite often too.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 11:02:14 pm
That battle BG looks hot! I like that it's simple, with the big flat clusters. Gives it a great depth of field effect, It's making the sprites and HUD really pop out.

I particularly like the use of violet in the darker shades.

I guess I'm saying don't add much more detail to it especially the distant parts. Maybe a touch of detail in the foremost parts.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 06:32:07 am
That background is looking great of course, but will you incorporate the turf blocks that serve an actual gameplay purpose? The color and rendering I know will be on point, so I would think at your level, the challenge would be in balancing art elements with game art practicality.  I wonder how feasible it would be to create transition assets that would work for all possible combinations ( or at least ones that have the possibility of being displayed at once) so that you could have both this seamless background, and still show the unit's tile identity.

Offline stevenblanc

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 10:25:08 am
Hey Vagrant,

Loving your work so far, particularly the battle background and HUD. One thing I would say about the HUD though. While I prefer your revamped HUD to the original I can't help but feel like it loses some of the traditional red/blue definitions of the versus battle.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend changing the colours to red/blue but I would look at finding a way to differentiate the two sides from one another. A perhaps lighten the brown and throw in a complementing forest green? The two side can be built from separate palettes, yes?

Steven

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 01:15:02 pm
Thanks all of the feedback.
These are the latest experiments, though I still haven't tried some things that were suggested. (Like the colour differences Steven said, which, indeed, are two different palettes. I just prefer the look of the uniform browns though.)

Add +1 hero sprite.

Alt. version

Portrait + BG

as far as I understood it, the battlebackgrounds were composed out of a bunch of tiles -
you can see the horizontal lines really clearly and if you look, you see that the same texture patterns repet themselves quite often too.

It looks like it, but it's actually a complete image that you can extract and insert with editors of the game.  ;)

That background is looking great of course, but will you incorporate the turf blocks that serve an actual gameplay purpose? The color and rendering I know will be on point, so I would think at your level, the challenge would be in balancing art elements with game art practicality.  I wonder how feasible it would be to create transition assets that would work for all possible combinations ( or at least ones that have the possibility of being displayed at once) so that you could have both this seamless background, and still show the unit's tile identity.

I'll def. try to experiment, but it doesn't really feel like it will work.

Fire Emblem, Shadow Dragon for the DS did away with the stands and I barely even noticed them. There was one case where in an indoor castle a unit stepped on a water tile, and in the fight, it showed the background of a sunny lake. Still, I only noticed because I was being ultra observant.
Personally, I would do away with the stands.

However, if there ever was a simply perfect solution it would be this; Background mode, and stands mode (With the blacked out battle map shown above in the mock-up.), which you could switch to and from in the options... If only one could turn the stands off in background mode. (Maybe it's possible to hack this in.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:21:27 pm by Vagrant »

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 10:31:29 pm
I love the transition from more to less detail in the background according to distance. It is really effective of adding to the illusion of depth. The tile approach might be more traditional, but I like the characters straight on the background. If anything you could just make it wider so it could scroll if you have an archer attacking a melee character. Both sprites look amazing, great style and proportions. How many colors?

The new portrait has a similar issue as the previous one. I feel like you are making the character's right cheek to large and rounded. It makes that cheek look fat, while the contour of the other cheek is obviously much more slender. In reality it is a very minor edit.