AuthorTopic: Mock me up, punks!  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Mock me up, punks!

on: August 18, 2006, 07:10:10 am
Ah...I forgot how fun mockups were.

In case it isn't obvious, much of the background was inspired by Ptoing and Helm's Chunk Funk style stuff. Also, the character was borrowed from my last Retro RPG entry.
Many (but not all) of the aspects of the image align to an 8x8 grid, and I believe it has 31 colors. I also tried something fairly new (to me) with the full black outlines on the characters, seeing as how I usually selout like mad. I may animate the sprites eventually, but that may be for a while yet, cause school starts in a couple of days.

C&C, punks!

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: Mock me up, punks!

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:39:05 am
Ah, good stuff! The background design is excellent and I think that the color choices are inspired, despite the fact that they're making my eyes bleed..  ;D

How about giving the main character one or two of those highlights to make him pop out a bit more?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:44:27 am
really nice, but one problem i see is the bg being to desat or at least the foregroung level of it, i can not make out edges and was thinking th emonster on the left was floating before i looked harder.

Not sure about the clouds either, if you wanna keep em square maybe simplify the inner shading a bit.

rock on  ;D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 10:25:53 am
I think there is a too great a style clash between the chunky funky bg and the semi realistic fg and characters. (especially when I first viewed it, not so much the 2nd time viewing)

The arm area of the aliens look a bit flat (can only see one arm, so it looks like a cardboard cut-out in that area).

Personally I'd keep the background colors separate from the foreground (ie. a cooler more desatured set) mainly just to make it easier to tell where you are jumping etc.. (wasn't quite where you could walk)

But the foreground and characters are looking great! Especially the main character. Nice choice of colours for the characters.
Ship crash landing also looks fab.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:34:12 pm
That background (especially the clouds) is quite fantastic. I can't keep my eyes off of the simplistic detailing of the ship. Personally the colour choices work perfectly for me, perhaps i lack the experience to see otherwise.

Really, the only things that are bugging me is the flatness of the enemy healthbar, and that lake/river type thing going on in the background behind the main characters head. =D But I'd sooo play this game. Awesome work Xion Night.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:26:35 pm
looks great!, but i agree with what others are saying about the cliff part in that it doesn't easily read as a foreground platform which characters can stand on. it looks like part of the background. The enemy is funny in a good way. I'd like to see the main character with more variable colors because at the moment he looks like a bronze statue.
The gui looks odd in that the backdrop of it has a weird color and it is just horizontal, making it uninteresting next to the details it displays. Maybe you could make it a transparent grey? and maybe shape it more? I'd try that..
nice work though..

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:57:05 pm
its cool!
everything in the scene looks cool but the skies looks littel wierd!
however that might be the fit style with the mountains!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 11:50:02 pm
Thanks for the crits, peepz.

I got rid of the dithering on the hill, adding the czunky style to it as well. Tried to emphasize the fact that the vertical part could be jumped on/over. (If this were a game, you'd be able to go further to the left and then turn around and come back to this scene by way of the top part of the hill.)
Added a color, fixed up the enemybar and GUI, adding a reload meter. I think it looks like a manilla folder now, though. :-\
Thanks for pointing out the arm thing on the enemies, Frychiko. I'll fix it if I make them actual (moving) sprites.
I'd like to see the main character with more variable colors because at the moment he looks like a bronze statue.
If this were a game, in addition to removing his helmet, different suit upgrades would bring the color variance needed, methinks.
How about giving the main character one or two of those highlights to make him pop out a bit more?
What do you mean? He has yellow hilights.
...and that lake/river type thing going on in the background behind the main characters head.
That was bothering me too, so I got rid of it. But the far plains seemed to be kind of empty to me, so...?

Again, thx 4 tha C's.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 01:25:08 am
god the last update is great.  Love the mockup xion, great stuff, now make the game ;D

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:16:19 pm
That new update is great! Good that you kicked the dithering on the hill. I still think it's a bit hard to see where you can jump on and what's inactive bg. You've sweetly combined all those ideas flowing through this community lately to something new. Dare I say EXCITING? YES!