AuthorTopic: [WIP] running animation and more.  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Satsume

• ~
    • View Profile
    • Deviant

[WIP] running animation and more.

on: February 20, 2015, 11:59:14 am

No much to say, i'm trying to made some basic animation, the run seems fluid, but probably have some issue
( i didn't use reference for the man, it's mind/logic process )
waiting for any tips/crits.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:02:54 pm by Satsume »

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] running animation and more.

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 12:11:13 pm
The running motion looks more like he's attempting to stop with the red leg. the back lean is suggesting the a stopping motion aswell.
Both legs and arms should be evenly paced to create a fluid motion.

I'll link my own run cycle as reference, and with the stop animation to illustrate the points:

The cats run looks really strange. It seems like the back legs are tied together and its torso is pushed down. It doesn't look like a natural motion. Also pay attention to how the tail is lead by the motion of the body, currently it seems to wave randomly.

Try to look up some cat run cycle references, there are a couple on youtube, or better yet try to find some real life footage for reference

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:16:53 pm
yeah if it wasn't  for the torso tilting back to vertical, it wouldn't look like he was trying to stop. fix that and you'll have a great animation!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:01 pm
To me, the main issue seems to be that the upper ends of the upper leg bones are fixed to a static pixel. That makes it seem like the whole pelvis is fixed in position but that is not what is happening when a person runs. As a person straightens a leg, it pushes the whole upper body upwards starting from the pelvis.

As a general piece of advice, note that whichever pose you are trying to draw a figure in, think about the limbs on which it rests or hangs because those will determine the positions of everything else.

In your animation, your upper leg bone shortens when the leg straightens below the pelvis. It should not. The length of the bones should instead stay the same and push up the pelvis and everything that rests on it (spine, head, shoulders and then the arms which hang from the shoulders will naturally rise up as well).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:08:38 pm by Dennis »