AuthorTopic: Pixel art book  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Pixel art book

on: February 19, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Now that I seriously ponder on this... I would love it if I had on my bookshelf a well thought and designed pixel art book. Something that's a pleasure to see and read, even if you are experienced... And hopefully study from.

Three main chapters, the first dealing with what is Pixel art, and basic definitions and tutorials. The second part dealing with advanced techniques, palettes, common restrictions, and so on. And lastly, for the third part, a huge body of work from the most talented around.

Seeing such a book among all the countless digital concept art and classic drawing examples in a book store would no doubt inspire some life to the pixel art scene. (If that is what some of you would like.) And hell, last time I saw, there was an example dealing exclusively with Lego sculpture photography.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:54:03 am by Vagrant »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Pixel art book 2

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:13:16 am
Yeah it'd be cool. Who can do this, though?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Pixel art book 2

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:44:36 am
Have a bunch of guest authors from the pixel community, diverse opinion and perspective on topics.
Share pages, make crits and edits to content.
Force Mathias into putting it together, because he's the catalog king.
Publish and sell it.
Give the money to a worthwhile charity so there is no dispute over the value of each contribution.

Just ideas.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Pixel art book

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:56:39 am
Think that discussion is a completely new topic which would deserve it's own Thread.
Therefore I splitted it from the earlier discussion.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:23:09 pm
Sounds great. I'd certainly love to have a book like that. Reminds me of what arne did.

I think it is a cool idea to have community contributions, not only pixel art but whole articles or (sub)chapters by different people, even if on same topics to get a broader perspective on things.

In the end there'd need to be someone to make the final edits, fix up ambiguities in wording and grammar/spelling errors, bringing it all together in a decent structure.

It would also be interesting if there's a chapter dedicated to ingame art specifically, sort of art post-mortems on some projects, to see the development process of sprites and tilesets.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 12:44:19 pm

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04:26 pm
Nope haven't seen that.
Well that's cool.  :y:

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:04 pm
yeah thats nice. No printed version though :(

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 01:21:42 pm
Not surprising, though. It costs a shitton of money to print book, and if you print low quantity the prices are just insane... And it's a LOT of work and a fucking mess

But I don't know, maybe when it's done if we ask nicely it'd be possible to get some printed, if you're willing to pay for an overpriced thing...? Hold on, I'll ask him, we never know

EDIT: Asked him and the answer to that completely make sense: the book will feature sprites analysis and stuff from big licensed games, so he can't print them without permission. So... yeah, no.
PDFs are print-ready, though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:29:45 pm by Ellian »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:22 pm
Something like Masters of Anatomy

But with pixels? I'd support that.