AuthorTopic: Cavegirl mock up  (Read 7438 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Cavegirl mock up

on: August 17, 2006, 03:41:17 pm
And here we go again... The baisc idea here was something like "What if Capcom made a game inspired by Frank Frazetta's paintings?"

The result is "Cavegirl - The Game" (at least according to the folder on my HD). The player's objective is to guide Cavegirl and all her animal friends out of, uh, Misty Valley, since the smoking "Fire Mountain" is a sure sign of impending doom. However, dinosaurs, neanderthals and other sub-human bad guys will make it a difficult task to accomplish...

Mock Up

In this particular mock up Cavegirl is being assisted by a sabertooth tiger.

Stuff

Here's Cavegirls sluggish neanderthal stride. It's a bit wonky, but whatever. My main focus with this (besides actually animating a sprite this big, wich I've never done before) was to make it look like her leg muscles actually are working. Topless version available on request.  ;D

Here's the sabertooth tiger (nicknamed Fang, to keep in with the "originality" of all this nonsense). I made this in like 30 minutes but I'm still quite satisfied with it. I might try animating it, if I can build up the courage.

Last and least, the background. It's a mix between pixels, color-reduced CG and a few things from previous pieces. Just a heads-up for all your purists.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Cavegirl mock up

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:24:51 pm
wow, very nice.. that looks like a lot of work.
I like the colors used, and with with content, it does look very frank frezetta
Great effort with the animation, though I want to point out that the forearm seems too short. If you check where your wrist reaches near your the shoulder, you can see that the hand would extend past it. In the animation it looks like it wouldnt do this.
The leg also seems to get longer as it extends backwards.
Animating the tiger would be a good challenge. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:39:35 pm
Frazetta was really fond of those super hot highlights and the dark shadows, I think a little more contrast would help the girl with that feel.  I'd like to see a specular highlight on the tiger, especially the haunches and shoulders and face.  The walk is amazing in some parts, i think the hair is a little jerky/overdone right now, and the feet and hands could use some secondary love.  I really have no complaints about the background, I think especially in real production pixel art as long as you get the exact pixels you wanted, how you get there is up to you!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 06:15:13 pm
i love frazettas work, especially the Cave Girl (which he rescued from krenkel, who was being a little too experimental with colors when he did the original cover for the cave girl.  its one of the few cases where i prefer frazetta to krenkel)

THis looks terrific so far, i love the oranges, but i wonder about the shadows - at the moment everything seems incredibly warm.  i know this similar to how frazetta worked much of the time, but i wonder if its too warm?  he also enjoyed the interplay of warm and cool in pieces like the battle scenes from Conan.

something more along the lines of that.  helps unify things a bit, even if its not exactly true to the artist (damn did he love purple or what?)

all of this looks great, you should be proud.  i would have put a bit more clothing on the girl, but i suppose you are being true to the originals >.<
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:32:41 am
Alex Hanson-White:
Thanks! It was quite a bit of work, but I like to go all the way when making stuff like this.

And damn, you're right about the forearm. I made a handless arm-pending movement first, with the intention to add hands on top of the "arms" when I had the general animation locked down. I see now that I've actually "sculpted" the hands out of the forearms, hence making them too short.  :o

AdamAtomic:
Yes, hands and feet (and hair) could use some (or a lot) of polishing. I think that hands, especially, is something I need to work on when it comes to pixel-art. I just can't see to make them look decent.

About what you said about the background, couldn't agree more. But I've noticed there's a certain "idea" here of how pixel-art should be produced, so I thought I'd just mention it.  :D

Adarias:
Hah, that's funny. I didn't know there actually was a E.R.B. book called "The Cave Girl", that used the same Frazetta image I was inspired by as cover. I guess that only goes to show, once again, that great minds think alike. Or not. :D

Hm, you're probably right about the colors. I'll see if I can cool it down a bit. Regarding the clothing; I was actually going for a topless cave girl at first, but I couldn't make any decent looking nipples, so I ditched that idea and went for the clothed-but-not-so-much-that-the-clothing-covers-up-boob-highlights-i-tried-to-get-right-for-like-45-minutes route.

Anyway, thank you guys for your comments and kind words. Even though I don't usually go back and revise what I've done, despite excellent critique, I wan't to make it clear that I certainly appreciate it, take it to heart and usually try to improve upon what's been said in my next endeavour.

Now, let's see what I can do about that tiger...

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 11:31:08 am
Mockup looks fantastic! You no doubt put countless hours into these works.

If I look more carefully, I can see gaps (green grass shows through) in the right-most tree grounded trunk, and just below that tree trunk, there are funky bright stranded pixels on the floor.

Great job~
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 05:00:26 pm
Mockup looks fantastic! You no doubt put countless hours into these works.

yeah,
so much i wish i could animate like that  ::)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 05:14:03 pm
This is great viewed at 2x - I can really appreciate the detail.

Offline Joo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:49:59 pm
I hate you.
In a good way.
Absolutely wicked work. Keep it up! (And then die. HORRIBLY)
Jokes, jokes...

:hehe:

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:07:40 pm
Oops I missed this first time around and I didn't realize it was an old thread.

Joo stop resurrecting dead threads.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:11:18 pm by Darien »