AuthorTopic: [C+C] Sprites/Animations for the-game-with-the-tree  (Read 6158 times)

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

[C+C] Sprites/Animations for the-game-with-the-tree

on: February 18, 2015, 10:38:30 pm
Well, I put my tree on hold and started working on the smaller sprites for that game.
First of all, the Idle animation for our main character:

Bandana, jacket, ponytail and pants are supposed to flow with the wind. I know about the bangs, but I can't seem to get those right.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Sprites/Animations for the-game-with-the-tree

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:43 pm
i'd suggest to stagger the animation of the trousers collar and hair so it doesnt uniformly wave at the same time. that might give it the dynamics it needs.
otherwise it looks mostly fine to me, although there could be a little more motion in the head :)

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:38 pm
So, tried staggering the trousers and hair animation with those of the jacket and bandana. And I've tried to do something small to the bangs. Anything more and it would not look nice to me.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:15:36 pm
The hair should fall closer to her head.  Right now it feels like there is an invisible thing making it float at the lowest point.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:09 pm
Went ahead and made some edits to it.

The hairstrainds now wave independently, unified the shirt waving and removed some of the 1232 animations to get a more dynamic feel to it.

For the sprite itself i changed the face to be more readable, changed the cutout so the neck doesnt seem too long and moved her bust up a bit to compensate.
finally i fixed the highlight on the spear.

I like the design you did. quite a neat looking lady you got there

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:12:19 pm
@wzl: You made her look the wrong way. She is supposed to look to the left side, because that is where the enemies are. ;)
I know it's not he most logical pose for a spearwoman, but she is supposed to be badass.

Crude sketch here. I'm not the best when it comes to anatomy or shading, but I hope this makes the pose a bit clearer.
She stands with her spear behind her back, pointing down. Slightly tilted away from her enemies, looking over the shoulder.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:16:17 pm
ok i see. in that case i'd try to twist her upper body towards that direction aswell. only twisting the head is not only uncomfortable but quite inefficient ::)

also the shape of her head didnt communicate a turn to the left. with that resolution its best to not work with the face but with the silhouette. you might need some adjustment there aswell
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:18:12 pm by wzl »

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 11:51:13 pm
Hi, I'm just a beginner but I hope this still helps :)
I arched her back to accentuate the Badassness of her pose. For the animation I mostly just made waving or circular moving dots and connected them together, and for the hair I made a waving line, duplicated it a couple of times and colored it in red and purple,  then I cleaned it a bit. I never tried working on a sprite this small before but I think you might want to play with the palette a bit I'm not sure.
I like the charter and it was fun playing with, it ended up pretty noisy  btw that's all I could do in that time :)

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:21:19 pm
Reworking, no animation yet. Based on a pen drawing. Tilted upper body slightly, added some more hints that she is looking to the left...

drawing here:

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:51:10 pm
I edited the sprite a bit:

My main concern was the face, but I also edited the hand, because it looked like it was only "over" the weapon (it didn't seem like it was holding it). Then I tried to fix the leg a bit, but I find Nirel's edit much better than my attempt.

Also, two faces because I liked both.