AuthorTopic: WIP Game design student looking for pointers on my first pixel art project  (Read 2075 times)

Offline PixelsNTing

• View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Greetings all,

I am making a side scrolling shoot 'em up game based on Futurama for a project at uni. I'd like to get some second opinions on some of the work i've done so far.

The Planet Express Ship!

This was the first rendition. The first test run of the game was at an extremely low resolution. Once I had the game engine figured out I started scaling up the designs and improving the sprites.

This is the second edition of the Planet Express Ship:

I think it's fair to say I discovered dither shading! Maybe over using it though, could do with some pointers on shading this i think.

The Planet Express Building

This is the building at its original resolution. I'm currently working on scaling it up, improving the shading and increasing the level of detail. Will post update as soon as the new version is complete.

Some background buildings.

Reference images were used for these buildings. All the buidings are created so they snap to a 32 x 32 pixels grid in my game level. These are final size sprites.

Mom, the worlds most huggable industrialist.

Professor Farnsworth.

Reference images used for both these images.

The plan is to have the Professor give you the first mission and Mom will probably be the first boss.

I'll keep updating with more art as I progress through the project if you are all interested in seeing it.
All these images can be seen on my DeviantArt profile: http://timcoleman420.deviantart.com/
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look over my work.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile
Regarding the dithering, I'll just copy and paste something I've said a million times:

I'd take the dithering out. People think because its pixel art that omg it has to have dithering. But unless you're going for an authentic retro look or you need it to imply some sort of rough texture, then in my opinion dithering should just be left alone.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline r1k

• View Profile
that was going to be my comment as well.  Try to replicate the futurama style in pixel art.  Futurama uses flat colors so I'd ditch the dithering.  You might need to reconsider which details are worth keeping and which are turning into noise at this scale.  No complaints about Farnsworth but the wrinkles on Mom's neck are too noisy.

On the buildings I'd go for solid, flat shading, and ditch the use of gradients.
I think you got the shape of the planet express ship a little off on the nose, recheck your reference for that.