AuthorTopic: List of colors [citation needed]  (Read 55090 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

List of colors [citation needed]

on: February 16, 2015, 04:21:47 pm
List of colors

This is something I came up with recently while browsing Wikipedia's list of colors. I thought some combinations would make for an interesting palette. Add some challenge factors and you have yourself an activity :)

This is how it works:
  • Create a palette of 8 colors (no less, no more) by choosing a sequence of eight consecutive colors (no other colors inbetween!) on Wikipedia's list of colors: A-F, G-M, N-Z
  • Create art with it! You don't get transparency. Besides that, there is no topic or canvas size restriction, but..
  • .. you have to use all eight colors from your palette in your final piece.
  • Of course, feel free to create multiple pieces.

That's it! To clear up possible confusion, here's an example of a valid palette (screenshot from Wikipedia):

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:35:26 am by Crow »
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: List of colors [citation needed]

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:18 pm
Are we allowed to post WIPs for feedback here or should we start a thread in the "Pixel Art" forum?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:38 pm
Are we allowed to post WIPs for feedback here or should we start a thread in the "Pixel Art" forum?

You can post them here, sure! This is not a thread only meant for your finished products. You can also discuss potential palette candidates if you wish.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:46:15 pm
Alrighty.

What I'm working with right now.
Tried to get as many Samus + Metroid colors as I could. Would rather trade one of those oranges/pinks for a green or another blue though.  :mean:
Just looking for general thoughts!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:01:48 pm by lachrymose »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:39:50 pm
This would be a little more approachable with an easily browseable palette.

So I made a 'webscraper' (it reads saved wikipedia HTML and outputs a .GPL file.)
Source is here.
Output is here -- in the same order as shown in Wikipedia, ie. alphabetical.
I also used GPick to make a few sorted versions:
(hue, luminance) sorted
(luminance, hue) sorted

Screenshots, which I guess you can eyedrop from:

EDIT:
Also, here are some compact images (wiki color list is 1159 items long, which equals 19*61 px):

Obviously if you wanted to be able to name which colors you had picked, you'd need to search the wiki pages (probably using the hex code, since that is clearly displayed.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:30:43 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 12:15:42 am
Nice Ai, but I thought the whole purpose of the challenge is that the only control over you had was you got to select 8 consecutive colors?

Current work.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:54:35 am by lachrymose »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:45 am
In that case, the first image I generated would still be useful -- it records the wikipedia colors in order, left to right, top to bottom.. so if you want to just grab any horizontal 8px chunk, it should be valid per the criteria you specify. Or any 8px chunk that wraps over 2 consecutive scanlines.

However if that is what Crow meant, it needs clarification. 'sequence of colors' doesn't mean the same thing as 'contiguous sequence of colors' or 'consecutive colors from the wikipedia list'. The example shows a contiguous sequence of colors, but since there is only one example, I didn't take it as definitive. (I actually took it as 'fucked if I know what that means')
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:46:17 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 03:57:28 am
True that. I had assumed continuous sequence of colors so that's what I'm rolling with. Need clarification cause I could really go for a green. >.>

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 04:32:20 am
Here's a more convenient version of my image, with colors laid out horizontally in wikipedia order in a 1159x1 image, in case that interpretation is correct. Any 8px selection from this should be a valid palette, so you can just zoom in and scroll till you find a likely looking chunk.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 08:36:40 am
Added "consecutive" to the color choice rule. I thought the "no other colors inbetween!" bit would've made it clear :( The way I see it, lachrymose, you could have green, if you give up the first color in your palette ;) Difficult choices, eh?

Also, thanks Ai for the efforts :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:42:37 am by Crow »