AuthorTopic: Anatomy help  (Read 4140 times)

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Anatomy help

on: August 17, 2006, 02:54:03 pm
Just wanted to hear if the arm on this looks alright anatomy-wise before I start detailing it. I used no reference and couldn't find any good photos/paintings to compare it too.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Anatomy help

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:34:11 pm
hi thomas...

Check out this thread as a lot of what I said to TaKam. is pertinent to what you're doing here...
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1007.msg12066#msg12066

Specifically to your work here, what you need to consider is proportionally the head is too big for the shoulders... also with reference to the head... either the face is too large for the space or the cranium needs to be larger.... generally speaking eyes are in the center of the head, currently they're a little high... measure the distance between the chin and eyes and that's the height (roughly) you need fro the brain space...

Sketch the pose first as a flowing line that 'suggest's the overall posture, then fill out the form using spheres, boxes, cylinders and so on... learn to see through the figures and understand mass and finally buy a book on anatomy. Personally speaking I always found the muscle groups that make up the shoulder, armpit, chest (as you have here) were difficult for me to understand... Likewise the muscle groups that join to the elbow from the perspective you've chosen can be quite difficult to understand... as far as the wrist and hand is concerned you need to understand how the skelatal form of the radius and ulna work and link together with the tarsels of the hand...hence the use of a mirror... use yourself as reference - admittedly you may not be as well built as the character your trying to portray but it's a start and one of the good things of working this way is that you'll begin to FEEL the lines you're sketching... (sounds a bit weird but its true) - bottom line with anatomy is that you need to see BENEATH the surface and understand how the complexity of form, mass, and the mechanics of movement. Once you begin to grasp this your work will improve dramatically.

Additionally I would recommend you may be better off trying to fill in the rest of the body too as this will help with your overall composition and gain a better understandinf of anatomical form.

Keep it up and Good luck.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:42:20 pm
Thanks for your comments, they are very useful for me. And you made me realize for the millionth time that I really should sit down and study anatomy some day. Anyway, I edited the shoudler area trying to fix the issues you mentioned. It might not be perfect but hopefully it's an improvement. The problem with the eyes being too high up will fix itself I guess when I add hair, which I will. Thanks again.

EDIT: In case someone reads this, here's an update:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:53:36 pm by tomas »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:51:34 pm
The best ref is still a mirror.=)
I've tryed to edit roughly and it's still questionable - hard to determine overall complection of figure on a head, an arm and a shoulder. Arm could be longer, fist - smaller and so on - you'll figure it out.
Try yourself to open a mouth same way - one picture worth a thouthand words, as they said.=)
And set a light sourse - would be easier to pool out shape volume.

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:55:41 pm
Yeah, I always use a mirror for reference. Although, many times I still don't get it right for one reason or another. As you can see on my latest edit I already made the arm longer and the fist smaller. Since you pointed it out also, I guess I'm at least doing something right. :) And I did set a light source - above and in front of his head. Doesn't it show? Thanks also for the edit. Very useful - I already made some changes to the facial expression thanks to your edit.

Oh, and here's the latest...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:12:09 pm by tomas »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 11:05:10 pm
Right now your light sourse is between the forhead and  the arm right above the shoulder and looks strange without its actual  presence on a picture.
Arm has two biceps or triceps or whatever it could be...  bitceps usually has most volume in a middle,  triceps is havier closer to the shoulder, check it out with a google, i am not an expert on that isssues. And measure your arm from shoulder to the elbow joint and from elbow to the wrist. Mine has different reading.=)

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 11:56:41 pm
I did find a quite good reference photo after I had made my first post, which I used when I modelled the arm so it should look quite OK as it is now. So - with that said - I present you with what I would like to call the final version:

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 03:27:47 pm
The hand still needs fixing, it's far too small, check your reference

Offline tomas

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:35:09 pm