AuthorTopic: CVLT OF TIAMAT; the seven sermons of the serpent  (Read 7238 times)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: CVLT OF TIAMAT; the seven sermons of the serpent

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:00 pm
i said i wouldnt bump this but i lied, my earlier premise, that the discourse would continue to move without me, that all it needed was to be kickstarted, is obviously faulty. there are not enough of us left. i want eyes on this. words about helm in post http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=17802.msg158712#msg158712

if we must be art critics we must be responsible about it. we consider form but not symbolism, meaning, intent. this is why someone can tell you youre not pixel enough, this is the biggest problem with the pixel art community, is this gate-keeping that is used to shut up outside opinions. for example i remember when ilkke first came to pixeljoint and everyone tried to tell him he was not pixel (his stuff being too tool-heavy at the time or some bullshit) over time we can see ilkke and ptoing trending more strongly together, as evidence of the same-feel nature of the pixel establishment. this is not pixel, gate-keeping is not pixel.

like, ptoing and ilkke are friends, they like each other. but they also back each other up. i am fond of ilkke, he's always been like a patron to me, but the idea we need patrons is bunk. i shouldn't have to prove that i'm not shit every time i post here. the evidence is the posts themselves, which i spend energy on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:25:27 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 08:28:09 pm
Can only speak for myself from your examples of people you describe for various reasons, you are assigning intentional motivation to certain unconscious impulses. There's no way to talk about some of the stuff you think you can.

Good news: I see where you're coming from much more now than a few days ago and I'm glad that is so.

Bad news: the things you want to discuss cannot be discussed because that would entail deep psychological analysis and I am not game for that. re: shitting guy example in the ramblethread, you deduct that I wanted to fuck with people, this is false; I cannot tell you what I wanted to do, it's been too long and I'm not the same person enough to know what I had in mind but that I wanted to 'fuck with people' rings untrue all the same. You do this again and again with various persons in your posts, you subscribe meaning to their actions without being an 'observer from above' as you think you are, you are just another person in various stages of communication and ex-communication, connection and dis-connection.

If this is your way to achieve more communication, more connection, so be it. Disfuctional or not, mine is just one opinion. But this (this post) is as far as this method will take you with me. Perhaps Zak S will be more willing to let you psychoanalyze him.

What you're doing is fine in the sense that, sure, feel free to take anything and get anything out of it, recombine, be creative, enjoy, be radical, try to subvert pixelation (I somewhat support this just for the injection of chaos into a far too entropic system at the moment - for example most of the rules of pixelation are nonsensical in 2015. But my support is academic: I have no power here anymore and that in itself was my statement as far as pixelation-hacking goes). But it's one thing to talk about distant entities like Borges and debate whether they've read H.P. or not and another to talk about me like I'm a historical figure, mainly for the fact of the matter that I can step up and tell you that what you think is going on never crossed my mind. You have to deal with that. How you adjust your narrative given this will show how useful your toolset you're proposing here is.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 09:43:27 pm
" There's no way to talk about some of the stuff you think you can. "

i can show you a way. it's non-binary logic. there are many paradigms, not exactly two.

" you abscribe... "

yeah, i am willing to consider that people's motivations are not what they say. often when people tell me what i say is not about the pixel what they mean is shut up about this, and go away. meaning, motivation, energy, is something we can only talk about if we are willing.

but art is meaning. it matters whether the artist thinks the thing they're doing is pixel. it matters if we believe the things we say, truly.

we're forgetting that the greek philosopher pixelocrates teaches: all things are pixel. pixels are atoms, small parts, replacable. ordered sets of pixels, ordered sets of ideas. i can prove anything, why not prove something good for art? instead of shitting in a sine arc.

zak doesnt give a shit about pixels. this isn't psychonanalysis. this is art criticism, which has psychology as some part of its focus.

so yeah. if i have to go somewhere else i will. but i'd ratehr do it here. I'd rather not blog in a vaccuum. i'd rather map teh message onto the audience. i'll fight a ghost.

any idea can be expressed in the form "pixel"/"not pixel". but some things are both pixel and not-pixel. good or bad or neutral or null. what i'm describing is the technology we will need to use to talk about the pixel if we are to make it relevant, really truly relevant. we are to meet the enemy. and we are to build that third space, the neutral space. switzerland. where the filthy neutrals live.

this is why we need math: none of us have been taught how to math. this is why we need literature: none of us are literate. not even me! because these are things we do not examine. i need to be able to talk about it. i need a space and and audience for it. and this space, this audience, is supposed to care about this message, if not me.

we do need psychology, and reverse psychology, and neutral psychology. or we fall in the trap of not giving a shit.

the thing is zak, even if not as a knight, i need him as a victim. he's the guy who has lived this, he's the guy who can say, this is wrong, because he's the guy who knows. even if he dont give a shit about pixels he gives a shit about bad art criticism on forums. also he is the nearest thing to a pixel art that isnt one: a hacker, and anarchopunk, a game designer, and a commercial artist at that. there is a common cause here. even if im the only one who sees it.

see, we should even regret the word 'bad' which is from 'baeddel' for a feminine boy. it's problematic. ableist even. i still use it but i feel bad when i use it.

this is demographics not truth. anyone can learn to pixel. it's the easiers part of waht we do. getting paid for it is hard, we're gonna have to reconsider whether work is worth money, how we can build an economy where it is worth money. how to treat those of us who aren't or choose not to be because the system is corrupt.

there can be no debate about whether lovecraft has read borges. he has. why not debate about whether helm has? if you havent read him you still might. if you have read him, you still might. it's healthy to ask whether helm-not-borges or borges-helm is more right. im going to point to dudes who, combined with helm, are more right than helm. rightness is transitive.

what im talking about is not the death of the artist but the survival of the artist. and the third thing inbetween, which is depression. lots of us are depressed. you are from greece. lots of people there are depressed. there's no money in it.

safe spaces for artists who arent making money but might wish to, someday.

helm thinks form is pixel. socrates-helm would think that meaning is pixel also. neither-helm would tell us to go away. both-helm... i don't know. who's that guy? i guess both helm is socrates helm, the forth helm is meaning-not-form helm. someone more like me. a post-structuralist helm.

good-helm, bad-helm, both-helm, null-helm.

good, ie form, is a traditionally-male-view. bad, ie feelings, is a traditionally-female one. if we only consider form, and not the feelings of the artists we talk to, we creep them all away.

listen, i got autism, but i can explain myself to you, because i care about the message and i've taught myself how to teach. helm, you're not a ghost. you're still alive. why not learn the new meme?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:37:36 pm by tocky »

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 08:42:13 am
You're not getting out of this quite what you want, huh.

Helm's fine. Post more pixels along your performance art.

you gotta work for your audience. ain't easy bein' cheesy, bro.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 10:43:18 am
true enough. but this, writing, is work too. I am doing this thing. i have been trained to write about the pixel and i am good at it. drawing would mean slowing down and i refuse to do so to please any basic-level troll. i need trolls with higher-order understanding, post-socratic elves, people who have at least considered whether they might be pre-socratic, willing to consider socrates and whether they need a history of western philosophy or not.

but listen, bertrand russel's history is not good enough. if we do not take time to consider the pre-socratics we do not even consider lovecraft, or any mystic.

what i want, more than anything, is an audience, and the threat of argument. but noone is arguing on my level because noone will even consider socrates.

i don't need peopel to agree, i only need them to listen. i am like a troll in this way but i am not a troll.

RAV is one of the best trolls i have so far, but still not very good. rav believes that all things are bullshit, this is nihilistic. actually truth is not bullshit. we can be nihilistic idealists.

so RAV im not mad at you im just disappoint.

here's a good new post by patrick: http://falsemachine.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/for-love-of-dwarves.html

he posts shit like that all the time. this dude doesnt get paid either by the way. we kill most poets by telling them they're not good enough to talk about their own feelings.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:55:15 am by tocky »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 09:26:20 pm
drawing would mean slowing down and i refuse to do so to please any basic-level troll. i need trolls with higher-order understanding, post-socratic elves, people who have at least considered whether they might be pre-socratic, willing to consider socrates and whether they need a history of western philosophy or not.
Speed is relative. Without sense of location among others, how fast you're going becomes indiscernible. What translates from the mind to the hand requires great understanding to make movements that are of any use. If drawing is slow for you, then perhaps learning to draw more quickly would offer a worthy challenge for yourself. Moving heavier/difficult things(things that don't want to move easily) takes more energy, but it also strengthens the mind and body.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:28:09 pm by AlexHW »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 10:12:42 pm
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46114.0

I MOVE MORE QUICKLY THAN MOST OF THESE NERDS