AuthorTopic: GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES (pixel art book)  (Read 26209 times)

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES (pixel art book)

Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:02 pm
It might be useful for Cyangmou to post some comparison images to prove that he's violated copyright. Legally speaking the issue is not that people are claiming ownership of the techniques but that he's stolen and modified the specific expression of people's interpretation of those techniques. Of course people seem more annoyed about the stolen ideas but in law sometimes you have to look elsewhere for justice. I will leave the discussion on the ethics of all this to others though.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:30 pm
-snap-
This is beyond piracy though. This is me pirating a game and modifying it slighty and reselling it (or several games and bundling them up).

yeah. thats cloning. but still legal through referencing, or anonymisation. the thing is if the pirates can do it legally so can we all.

referencing and anonymization are both important skills, that i can teach anyone, through the parable of moore. MOORES LAW I GUS i am the rundler.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:54:56 pm by tocky »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 11:56:05 pm
Ok, let every person who claims to own the copyright and/or intellectual property to a specific piece of information/knowledge step forward; with real name and contact information, and specify the contested information and provide indisputable proof that he or she is the ORIGINAL author and sole lawful proprietor of said information.

If you can't do that... you might wanna keep the legal threats at a minimum!

(I'm dying to see who among you will claim ownership of different pixelart techniques...)

information as information is free to everyone. Art techniques are, letters are.
"Charts" crafted by persons aren't.
Sentences written to charts by persons aren't.

Lawful threats aren't spoken so far.
Just naming the possibilities doesn't imply anything.
Naming stuff doesn't mean to actually handling it like that.

Example:
Given that one would take a palette - one you put work in first and released for free - and would advertise it then on pixeljoint for hard money how would you act?
I can't imagine that you are completely ok with that, if that person also states how much experience work and effort was put in said palette, that youself made originally for the same community but for free.

It might be useful for Cyangmou to post some comparison images to prove that he's violated copyright. Legally speaking the issue is not that people are claiming ownership of the techniques but that he's stolen and modified the specific expression of people's interpretation of those techniques. Of course people seem more annoyed about the stolen ideas but in law sometimes you have to look elsewhere for justice. I will leave the discussion on the ethics of all this to others though.

If I would post here I would distribute the work which won' tbe alright.
Everyone may buy the production (or maybe priate it yarr) and look it up.
If it'd be just me I'd love to do a visual overview, sure.

The information I provided here can be counted as review.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:10:08 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 12:11:01 am
Little snippets should be fine under fair use for criticism and review. Though fair use laws vary wildly by country. Of course if you're not comfortable with it then its fine, just so long as the people concerned can agree that it has happened.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 12:18:20 am
Well if the Opener of the topic agrees to it, I can nail down my written arguments with visuals.
Unless this happens I won't do it.

Even if there are disagreements, I highly value to respect someone and his rights.
Currently the discussion is very one sided, I just bought the book myself looked the stuff up and informed everyone who I think has soemthing to do with the content.
SInce some people said they won't buy the book I provided a more detailled overview.
There isn't more I could do at the moment without a clear statement from the autor/opener.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline mitch30

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 12:37:33 am
I am terribly sorry for any trouble I have caused. I made this book for a college assignment and someone suggested I sell it. The book will remain on the payhip link for free.

ALL MONEY HAS BEEN REFUNDED FOR THE 12 COPIES I SOLD

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 12:39:28 am
@Cyangmou:
I'm leading you where you need to go. You now realize none of you have any legal claims on concepts or specific information. It's just down to presentation or specific imagery, correct? Was your material ripped or just mimicked to some degree? Does it exceed potential quotation rights? Are your images so original that convey more than common knowledge and information in the public domain?

Credits are nice, and not referencing your sources is bad form. It's annoying but not illegal.

Let's keep information free, advance science and rejoice in the proliferation of pixelart-knowledge.

But yeah, credits where credits' due.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:43:55 am by DawnBringer »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 12:42:11 am
@mitch30:
Sorry about calling you a bottom feeder earlier and good to see you've stopped charging for it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 12:42:57 am
mitch30, good going.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 12:44:30 am
mitch, thanks for sharing you work with us duder, sorry about the mess

new activity: if someone asks you to make unpaid art, and you do make it, also send it to me, i'll put it up on the goblinwars tumblr

mitch, you cna have a freee ad if you want one

noone follows that blog yet but they still might

its gonna be a good source of free art and no bullshit about the exposure
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:50:10 am by tocky »