AuthorTopic: GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES (pixel art book)  (Read 26210 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES (pixel art book)

Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:32 pm
i think this dude would be willing to credit helm and the people on the wayofthepixel forum for all of their fine work. and then we get more newbs

Woho highfive tocky - that's how it should work.
and don't forget to add the "asking beforehand"
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:07 pm
Check yourself - 5 bucks for a book, to new people (esp. younger folks which is when we all started) is much more of a gate than disgruntled old has-beens on some forum trying to enforce their credit line. I'd advocate for the opposite, for this dude to make his book download-for-free and proudly saying "I CAME UP WITH ALL THIS SHIT" in the front page in 40 point font.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 09:45:31 pm
One "problem", aside from everything that has already been mentioned, is the book is not as high quality as it could be if it would have gone through a peer review process. There are problems with the shading and with the AA in the example pages. Of course that is easy to correct in a digital medium and the author might want to do so too but given the bigger problem of plagiarism/theft that hangs in the air, there probably is not much point to do that anymore.

Now that we seem to be also discussing books/knowledge in general and not just this book/knowledge in particular, one thing about books (granted, this is less of a problem with digital distribution) is that the information in them once written remains pretty static and immutable for long periods of time (until revised copies are released) while the medium and the community is constantly changing and evolving.

I think there is more to learn from an active community with "fresh" information, interaction and by actually doing stuff than by merely reading books because of the one-directional nature of information flow between author and reader.

So well, the plagiarism thing aside, ... forums, websites and free tutorials are doing a better job at teaching the art than that book and because of being free are also more welcoming to newbies who want to learn about it.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 09:58:26 pm
OK, TIME TO PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE WITH TOCKY

this new comes in, and tells us he is excited to write a book! good for him! but we tell him: do not write the book.

writing books is thankless work, we tell him.

good ideas are for those who have earned them, we tell him.

we are wrong. hey, guy, write a book, enjoy it

FUCK YOU GUYS AND ALL OF YOUR GATE KEEPING BULLSHIT TO BE HONEST

gnosis is free. knowledge is for everyone. writing books is hard. helm, its time you either write your own damn book or let other people write books for you. ryu, you dont even have any skin in the game.
Holy hell tocky, wow. Just to clarify my feeling on it. I don't feel all that strong about it tbh, just think it's bad taste to take what others have made to benefit everyone and commercialize it. It's a slap in the face to what the original creators intended.

Ah, come on, no point to be so vindictive.
Gut reaction. I agree.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 09:59:38 pm
Quote from: cyangmou
Mitch,

I downloaded your book, not for learning, but for checking out where you got your knowledge from.

You took the tutorials provided by autors like: Cure, Helm, Kiwinuptuo, Pix3m and myself as well as others who posted small tuts in the noobtorials section of Pixeljoint and posted at Pixelation.

We provided that knowledge to enhance the medium, some of us even together, but you presented all of that as your completely own work without giving credit to the sources.

You also haven't asked any of us if you may use that content, but you take money for it.

The art in the book (except the screenshots - where you added sources) is yours, but nonetheless it's plagiarism of already free content, just sorted and presented in a book.

You definitely ripped off the design of certain charts and layouts and as well as the content of various tutorialy and I can easily proove that just with side by side comparison for a big part of your book.

I will inform all others who provided tutorials which look strangely similar as in your book and will inform them that you try to make profit from our achievements.

That's illegal.

And what's even worse is that you advertise your product on the site and for the community you took from and aren't a part of  -at least you neither have a gallery here nor have you contributed anything to the comm so far.

For all others I personally would recommend to use the free tutorials already available, because what you get for your money in the book is very little new content compared with what is already there.

original post from pixeljoint, would be cool if someone could place that in one of the earlier posts, just to have it at the top of the discussion (ryu, yao, dennis or helm)
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 10:06:30 pm
I'd advocate for the opposite, for this dude to make his book download-for-free and proudly saying "I CAME UP WITH ALL THIS SHIT" in the front page in 40 point font.
I'm ok with this. I composed my own tutorial (based on ideas that are not my own) because I wanted there to be an easy and free resource for learning about pixel art, not because I wanted credit for the ideas or to see my name in print.

the book is not as high quality as it could be if it would have gone through a peer review process. There are problems with the shading and with the AA in the example pages.
. . .
I think there is more to learn from an active community with "fresh" information, interaction and by actually doing stuff than by merely reading books because of the one-directional nature of information flow between author and reader.
these are both good points.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:08:47 pm by Cure »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 10:09:00 pm
Cool. Anyway, it's a moot point if the OP doesn't come back to face the cacophony. We'll just have to live with it.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:43 pm
download for free would be an approporiate solution.
Resending the money to people who paid for it would be appropriate too.

another solution would be to immediately remove all the plagiarized stuff out of the work to sell it.
I don't think that anyone of us would allow the persone to use our stuff, even after asking, after how poorly it was handled.

We can contact a lawyer - together or every autor on it's own - it doesn't matter how much is plagiarized, there just needs to be plagiarism that's it. And that's given in that case.
We could contact the selling portal to take down the work, because it contains plagiarized material.

If it comes to a lawsuit the outcome is already pretty clear, I don't think we have to go to extremes and I am sure we can find an appropriate solution.

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 10:23:23 pm
Check yourself - 5 bucks for a book, to new people (esp. younger folks which is when we all started) is much more of a gate than disgruntled old has-beens on some forum trying to enforce their credit line. I'd advocate for the opposite, for this dude to make his book download-for-free and proudly saying "I CAME UP WITH ALL THIS SHIT" in the front page in 40 point font.

books are free these days. i have written a bunch of d&d books, theyre free on my d&d blog. evil baboons

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 10:23:40 pm
Helm is too fast!
So are we going to make our own book  ::)

books are free these days
Tell that to my university T.T