AuthorTopic: GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES (pixel art book)  (Read 26214 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES (pixel art book)

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 08:40:27 pm
Ah I see, that is a bit suspect. Obviously the description of touching pixels as clusters is an easy one to come to, but I never saw it so well compiled and explored before Helm.

I think a wiki fails because it does not have the classic academic flavor that a book has. Wikis are not sequential, they don't ramp up from basic fundamental skills to complex concepts. ( of course one can choose to read in such an order, but there is power in forcing someone to turn page after page by the nature of the medium; with the only alternate being skipping ahead and the risk of being lost)

Monthly member fees is just about the quickest way I could think of to kill this place, or 90% of forums in general. annual fundraisers is ok, but I would think of the book as sort of a patreon thing as a donation, only people get something out of it ( people expect forums to be free, so that doesn't "count" even though the usefulness and value of this community is obvious)

To mitch30: I don't know how many people you will grab to get this book here, as a lot of the information is here for free on the forums. At best we wonder how a newcomer ( perhaps lurker) has successfully compiled all that information without the help of this community, at worst we might believe there is some plagiarism happening.

Don't mean to put you on a stake though! if all of this is your own material, and completely your own thoughts and ideas with only light referencing of other artists and authors ( as to be expected with any work) then putting a cohesive and helpful book together of any size is impressive.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:44:32 pm
Wow, some morally bankrupt shit right there. I guess there'll always be bottom feeders :watev:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:40 pm
Ah, come on, no point to be so vindictive.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 09:04:29 pm
Just now read cyangmou's post. This is no good.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:10:27 pm
OK, TIME TO PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE WITH TOCKY

this new comes in, and tells us he is excited to write a book! good for him! but we tell him: do not write the book.

writing books is thankless work, we tell him.

good ideas are for those who have earned them, we tell him.

we are wrong. hey, guy, write a book, enjoy it

FUCK YOU GUYS AND ALL OF YOUR GATE KEEPING BULLSHIT TO BE HONEST

gnosis is free. knowledge is for everyone. writing books is hard. helm, its time you either write your own damn book or let other people write books for you. ryu, you dont even have any skin in the game.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:13:14 pm by tocky »

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 09:11:17 pm
Someone took the time and effort to write a book/summary on a topic you hold dear, and the problem is?... seriously, think about it, specifiy it and spell it out. I'll bet you're gonna feel pretty foolish once you break it down.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 09:15:44 pm
Someone took the time and effort to write a book/summary on a topic you hold dear, and the problem is?... seriously, think about it, specifiy it and spell it out. I'll bet you're gonna feel pretty foolish once you break it down.

there is no problem with writing books.

There is just a problem with crediting.
(in this case not crediting leads like in any other case to mental theft / plagiarism - not only of single artists who provided ressources for free, a whole communities knowledge was gathered and presented as one's own achievement)

that's why there is a bibliography/list of references in every publication.
Even in everyones diploma work or whatever a bibliography is needed.

and by not handling that like it, it's both - from a moral and a law standpoint not correct.

failed?

Edit:
plus there is the necessity to ask to use content for your product, which was made by someone else, even for free publications - before you make it public - which hasn't happened here.
That's just how our civilization works.
And reaching out to people is easier than anytime before. We have the web.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:26:40 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:02 pm
gnosis is free. knowledge is for everyone.

that's the point...

The problem is the information in this book was thought up and compiled by the community, to be freely distributed to anyone interested in our artform. Someone repackages it and wants to sell it back to us, but what is the benefit of this? Other than the benefit to his own wallet? It doesn't seem to serve the community, they can learn these things for free from the original sources.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:57 pm
No interest in writing a book about pixel art - much interest in pixel knowledge being free and accessible.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 09:25:22 pm
books actually make knowledge more free. i think this dude would be willing to credit helm and the people on the wayofthepixel forum for all of their fine work. and then we get more newbs

but more importantly, all of this pixel gnosis is out there; it's in the air. they guy could get it from bitmap brothers as surely as he could get it from helm

in any case we would have a new heresy. heresies are healthy so long as they do not destroy us
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:27:18 pm by tocky »