AuthorTopic: facetree (WIP)  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

facetree (WIP)

on: August 16, 2006, 06:32:07 pm

Biggest pixel art piece I've ever worked on. Suggestions and stuff appreciated, not going to do any major changes to the 'finished' parts though (just cleaning up and polishing).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 06:36:36 pm by Evil-Ville »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: facetree (WIP)

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 06:57:23 pm
Very nice, love how you've almost made it into a work of art.. great use of colouring, nothin to critisise on.. Just.. keep going.  :P
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:38:48 pm
looks great so far...but the hat is confusing me a bit.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:54:25 am
an intriguing piece, i like the colors..maybe the face on the tree could be bigger than that to match it, and perhaps even mirrored because for some reason i like it more that way.
or at least if not that, then change it around, i hope i'm not the only one who finds the face a little weird  ???

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:25:24 am
Update

Alkaline: there's no way I am going to mirror the face. Since when did magical trees of amazing power have symmetric faces?!

Terley: What exactly do you mean with that? I mean the "almost made it a work of art part"

Joseph: I tried to make the hat a bit better.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:46:00 am
Terley: What exactly do you mean with that? I mean the "almost made it a work of art part"

I agree, if this isn't a piece of art then I don't know. In fact most of the stuff produced here ought to be considered as art ;)

Anyway, the pic is great, I like how you use dithering to shade everything, plus the palette is really cool. I'd suggest adding a lot of wrinkels to the tree's face to make him look older. Plus it fits the texture of bark. When it comes to the dwarf, I'm not too fond of the three spheres you used for the main features of the face, it's a bit too stylized for my taste. But it's not finished anyway, so I'll just shut up for now ;)
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 11:23:07 am
sorry I meant a work of art in the traditional sense, I was thinking it could be a painting  :-X.. didn't mean to say that yours isn't a work of art..

art is using skill and imagination the create aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others.. Theres no doubt you did that, and im glad you're sharing it with us.  ;)

Update looking great.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 11:52:21 am
This is comming along nicely. I can tell you are really putting effort into this.

Some crits. You have a few colours which are a bit close, not many but still. It looks you as if you aim for a 32 colour limit and in that case you wanna utilise all your colours to maximum effect.

In some places where you started to aa it is too much, A general rule of thumb i go by is make things smooth but keep em sharp, too much aa gets blurry.

In some of the gadiations you dont you all the colours you could to make it look smooth and thus the dither looks a tad harsh in places.

Also the blue you used to go between the green in some places does not really work for me, it is good as an interchangable hue for one of the darker greens tho.

Lot's of aa and gradiation issues can be fixed by just keeping a neat palette in promotion (and i know you use promotion that's why i say it :P)

So doing aa and colour gradiations quick with using [ ] is easier in most cases unless you have superwild hueshifting and lots of intersecting ramps going on, in that case i suggest workramps where you just put new ramps in your palette with the same colours you already have but in different working gradiations.

I also agree with rob about the wrinkles.

Here a lil edit to illustrate some of my points, i also changed the colours a bit and neatened the palette (in case you wanna look at it in pm)
The colouredits are very rough tho and could be way nicer with better tints of the several palettes.

and animation to compare to yours

keep it up :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:11:15 pm
The only objection I have to Ptoing's edit is that it no longer looks like a lush, vibrant mossy forest.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 01:23:41 pm
actually by mirror i meant 'flipping it horizontally', forgetting what else it meant. my bad.