AuthorTopic: A couple very different pixels  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Dejital

• Me parrot ate me treasure map!
    • View Profile
    • Dejital Studio

A couple very different pixels

on: August 23, 2006, 03:33:30 am
I just signed up for these boards, so I figured I may as well post something.  :-\

Here are two of my most recent pixels, feedback can't do any harm I suppose!

Julius (10 colors oops?)

War (6 colors, pixel joint collab)

The latter has a full screen version that may be seen here (Firefox friendliest).

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: A couple very different pixels

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:17:26 am
I like them. :)

Julius could have done just fine as 3 colors, but if you want to AA that you're choice (kinda makes it look bad, but that's just opinion). Very stylized though ;).

War is good. 6 colors....not bad, 5 is better :P.  Love the symbolic red/arrow's pointing down/rain.  The dog and his human look straight out of Earthbound.  Great picture. My only critique is the frown; an apathetic straight face would fit more, but again, just opinion....
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:42:49 pm
I love the 2nd one, and the first one is cool, too, but the first one, despite the rediculous amount of colors, is a bit jaggy in places.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:05:02 am
ahoi. so i was going to say that you really need to work on your aa-ing, because it really doesn't work on the first one, and tried to make an edit, but i failed miserably. i guess i have to work on my aa too :P
anywho, the shape is a bit wonky in places, so i can still post my edit i guess. if it was a style choice, it could have been more exaggerated, if not, here it is somewhat evened out:

you should really reconsider this spikyness of the beard and the receding hairline, it sticks out from the rather structured rest (and they're a bit mishappen/random at that)

the secong picture looks really nice, lovely colors too. i really prefer the standalone over the fullscreen verison, though

Offline Dejital

• View Profile
    • Dejital Studio

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 01:02:40 am
Thank you for the comments! I appreciate the edit, miasugh. I will study what you did with the hair when I have time, as it indeed does look much better and more of what I was going for. You can tell this was mainly practice as I'm no good with AA at the moment. As for the beard and hairline, it turned out just as planned. "Fading away" areas are things common to my work in other mediums (example), but I hadn't done it much with pixel art before, I am disappointed to hear that it does not fit in with the rest of the piece.

Here's a WIP I just spat out:

Trying to find a good pallette at the moment. Can't seem to settle on 3 good colors.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 03:02:33 am
*drools* Oh my god, your stuff has flavor...

Your new one's so yummy..... I think the colors you got there are fine, but the teeth really stick out at me. Um, I donno how to fix them, maybe make them more up-and-down as opposed to the diagnal-ness of them now.

Great stuff, can't wait for more.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

yosh64

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 03:55:58 am
hey

Interesting pixels :).

I just wanted to say that I think the Top set of teeth seem okay, but the bottom seem most odd. I think the front bottom set should be thinner, and appear even straighter than the top set. Maybe looking at your own teeth in the mirror would help? If you have any? hehe :D. Otherwise I think it could do with a bit of AA.

cyas

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 03:30:51 pm
Very nice... very creative... what a refreshing change.

Very welcome addition to the forum...

You should chat to Ptoing...

Enjoy your stay...

Peet :)

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Dejital

• View Profile
    • Dejital Studio

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 09:29:41 pm
Thank you for all the positive comments. I'm surprised you mentioned Ptoing, as he is probably my favorite pixel artist. I can't say my pixel art style is at all similar though. His pieces do look a lot like doodles on my math homework though. *shrug*

Relating back to the pixel at hand, here is a version with different teeth. I will provide the previous as well, the new one is on the right. I only inverted the colors and straightened the front two bottom teeth.