AuthorTopic: [CLOSED] Looking for 2 Artists for JRPG  (Read 3834 times)

Offline SamTaylor

• View Profile

[CLOSED] Looking for 2 Artists for JRPG

on: February 01, 2015, 11:22:32 pm
I'm looking for two artists for a JRPG style game. I'm currently working on the engine, but I'm starting to look for others to help on the game.  I am paying $25 - $30 per hour per person for the introduction story.

I would probably divide it into environment and character/effects as the two major sections, but there may be other smaller categories that will need to be included such as UI components.  The major areas of environment and character/effects do not have to be restricted.  If both individuals want to work on both areas, that is fine.  I'm just trying to split up the work so that it's not overwhelming.

The game engine is primarily inspired by Final Fantasy 6 mechanics, but the game isn't meant to be a sequel or fan game.

I'm planning on launching a Kickstarter project around June to fund the full game, but I'm paying for art for the introduction of the story. The introduction will be provided for free to help build interest in backing the project. This means that the artists I'm looking for will work on both introduction and full game. No work on the full game will be expected if the project is not funded. We will discuss how much you need to work on the full game so that I can include the cost in the project.

I currently have an author that is writing the introduction. His name is Gregory A. Wilson in case you want to see who he is and what he's been involved with. I created a rough draft for him that will provide most of the information for the environment. Greg will provide a re-write of the introduction by April 3rd at the latest.

The preferred sizes are as follows:
Map tiles will be 16x16.  Characters will be within 16x26 (16 is max width, but height can vary depending on the character).  Portraits of party members will be 80x80.  The screen resolution will be 640x480.  Backgrounds, enemies, and effects are only limited to the screen size.

Sizes could be negotiated if you feel that 16 pixels is too limiting, but most things need to be tileable and would be best if it was a power of 2.

The theme for the introduction area will be Arabian.

The idea is a 2D sprite RPG inspired by Final Fantasy games from the NES and (mostly) SNES era. I'm creating an engine that will have a game creator and not just a game. I originally wanted to support a user interface for easy modding of the game and it turned into more of being able to create a game than a modding tool.

The feature I've come up with has to do with time. RPGs that involve time are either a small scope of a few days or they jump from time periods with actual time not really moving.

The engine will have characters aging in pseudo real time. While time will not flow on a 1 second real world to 1 second game world, it will be steadily flowing. Standing around will result in time passage within the game. I'm planning on using a 1 second real world equals 1 minute game world while in towns/dungeons and a 1 second real world equals 1 hour game world while in the over world. These times may be tweaked once the engine is ready to have a demo game created.

Events will also be triggered through time. The world can change from one year to the next. The changes won't be limited to seasonal changes, but could also be catastrophic events that alter one or several maps.

You can download the in progress engine tech demo from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2xELTnl1CECZzFXaGI1Nl9QSWs/view. There's a README and a DOCX within the archive that talks about the engine, but not what the game I'm going to create is. The tech demo shows off the time mechanic of a character aging and graphics as well as stats changing for that character. Be sure to check out either the README or DOCX for controls so that you can toggle between time flowing at 1 minute to 1 hour.

Either post here or PM me if you have questions or are interested.  Please do not create any new content for your application of the requested positions.  I would like to see prior work that was done in fun, practice, or part of a project.

Edit: Fixed link to tech demo.  Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:36:37 am by SamTaylor »

Offline lenstu82

• View Profile

Re: [PAID] Looking for 2 Artists for JRPG

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:00 pm
Hello, I could definitely get into this project! You can check out some of my work on my site www.ashlandish.com

I have extensive knowledge with Photoshop and I have experience with ProMotion. I specialize in environments and objects. I can also do simple animation work if needed.

Please email if interested!

Offline SamTaylor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:10:15 am
I am closing recruitment.  I have not filled the positions, but there have been quite a few that have shown interest and I haven't been able to review and talk with all of the current applicants.  I have responded at least once to everyone that has shown interest and will continue through the list.

I'm also doing the same with musicians and received quite a bit of interest from the community that I posted in.  There is a lot of material to look into.  Please bare with me as I go through submissions.  Thank you.

Offline SamTaylor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 03:41:50 am
Just wanted to post a status update.

I have performed an initial pass over all prior work that people have linked to.  I need to perform a second pass and review conversations to continue the selection process.  There will probably be additional one on one dialog to help narrow the list.

I have finalized the musician today, so that frees up time to focus on choosing the artists.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

Offline SamTaylor

• View Profile

Re: [CLOSED] Looking for 2 Artists for JRPG

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 05:38:56 am
The positions have been filled.

I want to give a big thanks to everyone that showed interest.  There were a lot of applicants and great art to look through.

I would be happy to work with many of you in the future.