AuthorTopic: [C+C] Muscular Guy Idle And Running (WIP)  (Read 3315 times)

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

[C+C] Muscular Guy Idle And Running (WIP)

on: February 10, 2015, 05:15:26 pm
Started Pixel Art & Animation from nothing two weeks ago. First time using a canvas that is not 32*32, the arm/muscle/shading is a real pain. I know there are a lot of things can be done to improve this, please let me know!!!!

I am trying to make him do a charge attack with the running animation, right now he seemed all relaxed and stuff when running, any idea how I can make him meaner, harder and appear faster?

The reason why it looks so weird, btw, is because I am trying to have no outlines to fit the style of my other game asset better.

Idle:

Running

Please C+C and let me know what I can do to improve, thanks Pixelation!

I do not mean to double post here, but I know we are focusing on animations here so please let me know if posting here AND pixel board is inappropriate.
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: [C+C] Muscular Guy Idle And Running (WIP)

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:45:59 pm
I just find it odd that the far arm is so much darker. Maybe you could just use two shades. the two darker shades for the arm, otherwise it looks a bit out of color.

as for the animations, the legs on the other hand should be made to contrast a bit more.
the arms seem to push forward.
if you try running you will noticed that your forearm doesn't rotate much. your shoulder does, but not so much your elbow, so the angle between your upper arm and lower arm stays pretty similar throughout the animation loop.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline stevenblanc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:44 pm
I agree with the issue relating to the darkness of the rear arm.

You skipped a tone on your pallet in between the main body and the rear arm. I did a quick edit by just swapping the two rear arm colours to utilize your skipped tone.

This resolves the issue for a number of the frames. However, there is still too sharp of a line between the back and the shoulder when the rear arm is swung backward. You will need to use your main body shadow tone to build up the shadow blending into the arm or bring some of the lighter colour into it.

Alternatively, on both the front and back swings you can reduce the amount of dark outline on the top edge of the arm as this appears to be the direction of your light source.

Offline hpplgroup

• View Profile
    • Hppl Group

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:22:24 am