AuthorTopic: Space Crusade [WIP]  (Read 5932 times)

Offline neofotistou

• View Profile

Space Crusade [WIP]

on: March 08, 2015, 09:25:49 pm

Doing some 24x24 Space Crusade tiles and sprites (Starquest for German and Italian gamers) for fun and practice
c&c welcome

I also tried my hand at a Mark V Blood Angels Dreadnought

Now I want to go back and simplify all the other sprites, but I'm not sure how possible it is. We'll see
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:43:18 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Re: Space Crusade [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:24:36 am
looking good so far.

I'd stay away from arbitrary angles in the initial stages, can detract from the aesthetic (blue robot). Probably best off getting all the 90 degree frames down first.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:40:58 am
yep what hawken said. it looks good! main thing that stands out as needing attention is that blue dreadnought (is it a dreadnought too? i dont remember any with such a pointy face from my interactions with the 40k universe), he looks like hes swooning.

Offline neofotistou

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:40 pm
thanks both, I agree, lemme see how I can fix that. I may need to fix the space marines as well, even though they're not banding, I'm not sure they're reading as well as they could.

Yes the blue thing is a Chaos Dreadnought from the board game Space Crusade. It's not even canon, and it's Milton Bradley's design.
Very goofy looking, but I like it.
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/12/26/308561-Dreadnought,%20Out%20Of%20Production,%20Rogue%20Trader,%20Space%20Crusade,%20Warhammer%2040,000.jpg

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:57:19 pm
I'm loving it! Like I talked about in the previous thread, I think it's really interesting to see your style which relies more on clusters than outlines and strong highlights, especially for this kind of tiny scale.
The genestealer, space marines and mk V Dreadnought (!!) have fantastic readability. The ork looks amazing when zoomed in, but I wonder if the fangs may be confused with eyes at 1x zoom.
The Space Marine with a power sword looks kind of like a woman with her hair tied up in a knot.
The old school dreadnought is my least favourite, but I appreciate that it's an extremely complex model to get right at this scale. And maybe that particular sprite suffers more than the others from the lack of highlights and clean breaks, due to its shape.

As for the tiles, I've never played SpaceQuest and so I don't know quite what style you're going for. But those computers / terminals look very generic and with the exception of the chaos star, I'm not really getting a 40k vibe from the tiles. Maybe it was an artistic choice not to make it too gothic or Giger-esque, but... yeah, I kind of want to see this with more gothic and/or Giger  :-[

Looking forward to seeing more of this. Mandrill on PixelJoint is going to shit bricks.