AuthorTopic: How would you make creepy pixel art?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline DHyd

• View Profile

How would you make creepy pixel art?

on: February 11, 2015, 05:47:07 pm
Hello,

I was wondering how different people would approach making creepy pixel art similar to lets say.. Tim Burton (nightmare before chrismas, coraline, etc). Would you create a 32x32 tile set but then make everything super slender? (So it would appear to be 32x16) I'm curious.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: How would you make creepy pixel art?

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 05:58:16 pm
slender... im not sure if you're talking about widepixels or not. lower-res stuff is more terrifying i would say than higher-res because it doesnt look like what we expect to see. I also find vector art terrifying because it creates this sense of impending doom, as though it will destroy us. but that might just be me. DARKEST DUNGEON for instance, the art for that is top notch. but the interface isnt great. if they can work out their interface stuff we'll be extinct. you need to build up lore to do properly scary stuff. kriss straub and candle cove - he's good at that.

again, make a study of borges, lovecraft, and the influences of lovecraft, and who he influenced.

there's a lot you can borrow from the movies, pixel art objects as 'found objects', examples of outsider art. glitch stuff in general. guys like DAVID OREILLEY, who did a pretty messed up episode of adventure time, the lowpoly glitch episode, 'a glitch is just a glitch', but also for his personal work, 'the external world' and 'please say something'.

adventure time does creepy well because they can hide it in something cute.

do things that make people uncomfortable. the discussion on here of the uncanny valley, in another thread, should serve.

secrets, and the threat of secrets.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:02:24 pm by tocky »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:47:56 am
It's a pretty broad question.

Would you create a 32x32 tile set but then make everything super slender? (So it would appear to be 32x16) I'm curious.
Perhaps a valid process.
Try it.

Apply the basics of art and design.
Proportion is just one them.
Think about color, rendering, composition, structure, etc.
Mess with them in unexpected ways.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:47 am
Large black soulless eyes with a wide/disfigured mouth is usually a good way to go for humans
Color is also very important. If don't have any sort of creature to convey creepiness, go with some faded + less saturated tones that fade out from a single point of light.
Also anything vaguely human shaped or related to humans with something "off" about it is usually seen as creepy in the uncanny valley sort  of thing.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:06:37 am
I think the important part of creepy pixel art is the "creepy" part. that is all on the concept design. once you have it, make it into pixel. its not something that has to be born out of pixels right away.

so I think you should first create a creepy concept.
Long fingers, bonny faces, dark eyes, black hair, all that goth stuff from tim burton's usual stuff.

once you have a concept, its a matter of making it in pixel
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:09:08 pm
that's a good point, you have to think about what scares you. Whether it be people or death or sickness or whatever. GUILT and SHAME are gold-mines. BEAUTY IS SCARY ALSO. because it doesn't seem real. i usually try to stay out of the horror space, but horror for a pixel artist is just a single pixel in the wrong place. (this is key but it is damagerous, use it wisely) anything that makes you think, are they doing this on purpose or not, thats scary because it puts the seed of doubt in you. the scariest things are the things you expect that don't happen, because you end up waiting for the other half of the thing, not knowing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:13:56 pm by tocky »