AuthorTopic: Traditional Arts Forum  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Traditional Arts Forum

on: August 16, 2006, 11:31:08 am
Does anyone know a forum where you can get critique on non-digital art like pencil drawings for example?
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Re: Traditional Arts Forum

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:37 pm
GFXArtist
CGSociety / CGTalk
ArtFucks
Deviantart (ROFL)
MessyChilroom (I just noticed this is down...what a shame, one of the best communities I had been to... :'( )
Punaji

That's all I can remember for now...hope it helps :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 12:26:16 pm by Filax_666 »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:49:25 pm
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/index.php?s=e955e18f8059d1a287cd149dfb6d5206 is just awesome, I feel like it's the pixelation of drawing and it's far bigger too.

Concept art for Prince of Percia: Warrior within, and for Lord of the Rings movie has been posted there.

But it is for conceptart, so you better post your own designs, and try to have a backstory for em.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 01:05:54 pm
Thanks for the replies guys! That conceptart site seems to be exactly what I was looking for!
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:46:37 am
If you're really good, brave or naive, you can post at Eatpoo. I've lurked there for something like 3 years now, and I'm afraid to post. Mainly because my drawing skills aren't really... existant.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:08:27 am
Hahaha, true words there Blick. Eetpoo can be evil when it comes to noobs. I posting there 3 years now and i have seen many a noobie go down the drain and get banned because he could not take the truth.

If you go there follow these things:

- read the FAQ and follow it
- read the artguide for noobs (even if you are ok there might be good tips)
- lurk for some time and check out the vibe of the place before actually posting art or anything else
- if you are under 18 don't post in the toilet
- and if you get harsh crits don't be defensive about it, stuff like "it's my style" when something is shit does not fly there
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:53:41 am
that last one Eetpoo looks like an interesting place, i think i might post there, but i think i am going to take your advice and lurk a bit.  Its an interesting mix of great and not so great but its all very interesting; and even most of the stuff thats quite rough and unrefined is still conceptually intriguing.  thanks for the linky

i believe there was a site called Epilogue (or something like that) that i liked a lot.  good place if you dig sci-fi / fantasy artwork, pretty high quality stuff if i remember, and a lot of good voices on the forums for critique, though not as many as one might hope.

Edit: found it.  forums and quality not quite as pro as i had remembered.  theres a post there about one-point perspective that i had to laugh at, as all it is is basic division and multiplication of percieved quadrilaterals, i.e. the most basic of concepts and not even touching at what makes linear perspective so great and beautiful: the perfection and intricacy of it all with the added irony of being completely wrong.  im also half tempted to get out my pages of personal notes on the subject and scan them, just to show how beautiful it is when you add light and shadow and slope and curvature to the math and how perfectly the system works even though it is inherintly incorrect because of its linear nature....but im getting off topic.  that always happens when i start talking about perspective, im just in love with the idea of its perfect, beautiful wrongness.

point is, this site IS still worth a look.   i was several years younger when i first saw it and thought it was all astounding at the time :P and even though it isnt really it looks like a fine community, and if you are looking for a site where you can talk about fantasy artwork without being bogged down by rules or sophistication, then it is the perfect place to go. 

if you would prefer a place with a much better foundation and a lot fewer unicorns, conceptart.org is the place to go
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:16:48 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 06:30:48 am
Adarias: How about a link?

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 07:23:19 am
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins